ro/di problem

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertec 100 gpd ro/di with the built in booster pump. I went to make water today and I expect the first gallon or so of water to read a some ppm and then it is back to 0. Today it has run and not dropped to 0 after making about 10g of water. I did notice that the waste water is just pretty much dripping. I have made the unit backwash itself several times and it is just not sounding right. Any suggestion would be great.

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that I fixed the problem. I started taking apart the drain and back flush attachment. When I took the drain hose off the insert in the hose was clogged with a bit of debris. The insert tapered down to a pinhole. I tried to push a pin into it and got some of it out but could not get all. I decided to cut the tip off and now it seems flowing a lot better. The unit now is back down to 0 ppm. Will cutting the insert change the rejection rate of my unit?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a capillary tube flow restrictor and you cut the flange end off or shanged the overall length then yes it will change the waste ratio. Using a measuring cup and watch or clock measure the waste flow for exactly one minute then do the same with the treated flow to determine the waste ratio. If you have softened water and lower than normal TDS you can get away with a 3:1 or if it is very soft and very low TDS a 2:1 waste ratio. If you are using unsoftened water and have a TDS of 250 or above then keep it at 4:1 waste ratio. Unfortunately Vertex didn't do their homework and their systems get a ton of complaints, I am surprised they still sell them really. I took one apart and discovered 120v AC power versus low voltage DC like most manufacturers use along with cheap twist on wire nuts versus sealed o water resistant splice connections which spelled a lawsuit to me. I wouln't wish one on my worst enemy. If it had crud inside it that means it is not being sufficiently flushed and you have a claim against them.

OP
OP
bkhunt

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not complain about my unit. It has produced quality water for me for over a year with no problems. I love the fact that it has an automatic backwash feature and built it booster pump. My house water pressure is only 32psi. I would assume it is a good thing that the drain got clogged meaning that the debris is not being forced farther into my ro filter and the backwash feature is doing its job. If all I need to do is replace a little tiny plastic insert that it something I can live with. I am not worried if it I 12v or 120v as long as it does its job. I will have the unit unplugged it I would have the need to do any electrical work. If any water hits the electrical not big deal because it is plugged into a gfci.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back