New RO/DI Buddy not putting out 0ppm

j.wilhelm.jr87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New RO/DI Buddy was putting out 0ppm, but last night I was making water(25 gallons has gone through it, minus the intial setup), and it was reading 4 & 5 ppm. What could be going on? Incoming is about 25-35ppm.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that reading is after the membrane or the di? 4-5 after membrane seems reasonable- after di might mean there is exhausted media or channeling.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4-5ppm is after all 4 stages. It was 0 initially.
Ok- I would start troubleshooting by checking the DI. If you have the means to see what the tds is leaving the RO, check it (some tds meters can toggle between 2 sensors- typical design has one after membrane and one after DI).

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the RO buddy has anything to do with it. All it does is boost the supply pressure. I would expect your di resin is depleted, that is the only time my tds creeps up. I've been running an RO buddy booster for years with 0 issues.
I like to run 2 di stages with a tds meter in between. When tds creeps up I still get zero to continue filling containers thanks to the second stage. When I have time I move the last di canister back one stage and add a fresh di canister last.

EDIT : sorry I see you mean the RO buddy system not booster pump. I started with one of those but it got too expensive with the sealed canisters and they are small so I upgraded to a traditional 5 stage system. I like being able to see inside all the canister so I can tell when the sediment filter needs changed.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) check a switch on the tds meter to make sure on the correct sensor
2) change DI

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they mean you should ensure that it is in fact connected to the one after the Di canisters. The wiring could have been installed backwards.

You can also try disassembling the switch and making sure it is oriented properly should be two little posts on the sensor. The water should be passing between those posts.

Does this unit give a reading of what the tds is for the incoming water? Not familiar with the rodi buddy.

OP
OP
J

j.wilhelm.jr87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they mean you should ensure that it is in fact connected to the one after the Di canisters. The wiring could have been installed backwards.

You can also try disassembling the switch and making sure it is oriented properly should be two little posts on the sensor. The water should be passing between those posts.

Does this unit give a reading of what the tds is for the incoming water? Not familiar with the rodi buddy.
Yes, I have a digital inline tds tester. It is 25-35ppm incoming.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a digital inline tds tester. It is 25-35ppm incoming.
Ok- sounds like your %100 that after your DI you’re getting 5 TDS- if that’s the case, then change the DI and confirm you’re back to 0

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re measuring 25 tds after the ro membrane and before the di, then change the membrane.

Those numbers are close to what you would read before and after the membrane which is why I suggested to make sure your looking at the right sensors. Sometimes 1 interface actually handles 2 sensors and there is a switch in the center for you to move back and forth… if so, make sure that switch is all the way to the right on the panel which is usually hooked into the sensor after the DI (the one that should read 0)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

j.wilhelm.jr87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya then you should be getting 1 ppm after RO , the issue is probably high co2 water that is ripping through the DI, what are you after RO?
i'm going to get a gauge to measure my static and residual flow from my sink(that is where I connect it). I would agree, if it hadnt of been 0ppm for the 20 gallons prior. Im hoping im pushing too much pressure through it, not allowing enough time in the chambers. If my psi is above rated, ill put the sink about as low as it can go.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm going to get a gauge to measure my static and residual flow from my sink(that is where I connect it). I would agree, if it hadnt of been 0ppm for the 20 gallons prior. Im hoping im pushing too much pressure through it, not allowing enough time in the chambers. If my psi is above rated, ill put the sink about as low as it can go.

Getting 0 ppm for 20 gallons makes sense. You exhausted the di resin rapidly.

0 chance the issue is too much pressure. You would blow your house lines first

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way it's deleted that quickly imo. I use an ro buddy and just changed filters after way too long and never read above 0 tds. Can you post a Pic of how you routed the rodi lines to each filter? It can be a bit confusing because of the configuration (imo)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can deplete that quickly with high co2 well water. It’s very common.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back