RO/DI Quick and Dirty

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks:

I need an RO/DI unit right now. Yesterday. I'm seeing things for all kinds of prices. 4 stage, 5 stage, 8 stage, 57 stage. Can you just tell me what I need? I don't need to understand everything.

I think 50G/day is plenty for now and the future.

My home water pressure is 47psi wide open (it was recently tested). That's as good as it gets--I live in a rural area. Will I need an extra pump before the unit?

Can it be hooked into kitchen sink plumbing by someone with the IQ of a banana? Or do I have to hire someone?

What should I expect to pay ballpark?

I'm in Canada. I could possibly go to the States to buy stuff, but that's 3 days and $400 minimum, so it would have to be worth it.

Thanks!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks:

I need an RO/DI unit right now. Yesterday. I'm seeing things for all kinds of prices. 4 stage, 5 stage, 8 stage, 57 stage. Can you just tell me what I need? I don't need to understand everything.

I think 50G/day is plenty for now and the future.

My home water pressure is 47psi wide open (it was recently tested). That's as good as it gets--I live in a rural area. Will I need an extra pump before the unit?

Can it be hooked into kitchen sink plumbing by someone with the IQ of a banana? Or do I have to hire someone?

What should I expect to pay ballpark?

I'm in Canada. I could possibly go to the States to buy stuff, but that's 3 days and $400 minimum, so it would have to be worth it.

Thanks!

Well to buy from states you can just buy online if you want, no need ti travel. I don't know much about RODI units, the one I own I won in a raffle at MACNA, so I don't really know much about selecting a unit. I found BRS to be a great resource to learn about this stuff, and while I haven't watched these videos based on my experience with all other BRS content this should be very informative: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/series/view/rodi-series?video=29

OP
OP
Seawitch

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much everyone. Will I need a pump if my water output is 47psi? Can I install it myself?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most RO systems are most efficient fed with 60-70psi @60- 70 degrees.. a booster pump will make more water with less rejection in a shorter period of time.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ask about Pex. Super easy. There is an adapter you can get. The tool for Pex can be rented btw.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 GPD Spectrapure, 6 stage. My Water Pressure is about 45 - 50 PSI going into the unit and it work just fine for me. I do have a small system 37 gal DT, 20 gal sump. The Spectrapure is a nice package, came with everything, auto shut off valve, float shut off valve, miscellaneous tubing to hook it up, adapters, etc. Plus Spectrapure specializes in water filtration, and provides premium filters on the RODI units. The price is way worth it. Good water is critical, starting with a strong RODI set-up is easier in the long run.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back