Ro/di setup help, source and waste lines

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my fish room I'm lucky to have the main water line and the house waste drain in the same spot. All suggestions I've read point to hooking up the ro/di in a restroom by a sink etc. Has anyone connected directly to the main water line of the house? How? I'd prefer to not do a saddle valve on the main. Same question for the pvc waste like of the house, can I connect to that directly? Here's where it all comes in (see attached pic)

IMG_20200715_064825.jpg

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a saddle valve on both, can you use the cold water line to the kitchen or bathroom to put a saddle valve? I have the valves and am going to use the lines for the bathroom here.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can do a saddle valve on both, can you use the cold water line to the kitchen or bathroom to put a saddle valve? I have the valves and am going to use the lines for the bathroom here.
I specifically do not want to saddle the main line. Saddles are prone to failure and to me aren't a good long term solution. If I have to have a plumber out to weld something in, that's fine! I just need to know what :)

Sadle valve in the waste side probably makes sense as it's not pressurized

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alternatively, I have the option to place the RO & SW storage by a utility sink in the basement. If I kept my RO & SW in the utility room, how do I get the water to the fish room? In my basement, this would be about 50+ ft away. Would it just be a simple water pump? Basically I don't want to lug water to the tank forever.

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on folks there has to be some of you that can relate to this, help a fellow reefer out.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Come on folks there has to be some of you that can relate to this, help a fellow reefer out.
Thanks for the bump! I've done more research and given more thought.

In the util room I could make the ro & sw, store there. If I have two containers there I would just need a simple pump to push the rodi to the sw container to make new sw. Cool, that's easy enough.

I think I can then use 3 dosing pumps to accomplish ato and awc. I think the versa's may work but I'm not sure how far or high they can push or pull.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I made a drawing to help illustrate my thinking...

Questions: can the RO/DI unit push 8ft head/50ft run to the storage container? I think the only risk there is pressure, right? Worst case, I have to buy a booster.

Other than that risk, does the layout appear logical & make sense?

ato.awc.png

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same situation and searched this forum, seem like no one here answered for you.
I would appreciate your help if had it done already. I had my setup under kitchen sink, since we are re-doing kitchen right now I thought about moving to utility room, I plan to keep the RO/DI Unit in the utility room where i already have water source and drain, the water output should go up 8ft thru the attic and run 50ft approx and down 8ft again. would it work? even if the pressure is low and water flows slow that should be fine for my ATO managed by Apex.
Thanks.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I made a drawing to help illustrate my thinking...

Questions: can the RO/DI unit push 8ft head/50ft run to the storage container? I think the only risk there is pressure, right? Worst case, I have to buy a booster.

Other than that risk, does the layout appear logical & make sense?

ato.awc.png
Yes it can push that high and far.
my current setup pushes into the ceiling from my wash room and across the house into the garage about 25 ft away. No issues. Had the same setup at my old place as well and never had a problem.

I will note that I do use a booster pump so it’s a constant pressure

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can push that high and far.
my current setup pushes into the ceiling from my wash room and across the house into the garage about 25 ft away. No issues. Had the same setup at my old place as well and never had a problem.

I will note that I do use a booster pump so it’s a constant pressure

Thank you for the quick response. Is booster pump needed to get water pressure. If so, a question on booster pump: does it turn on/off by itself and what brand you recommend and available in BRS or Amazon?

My setup also includes drinking water kit that includes 3 gal pressured can to store water that outputs to drinking water faucet near kitchen faucet and also to refrigerator ice line with tee connection., I have noticed when i take water thru DI it comes pretty fast when pressured tank is open (so i am assuming that give some push).

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my personal setup I have my RO/DI off of a Y-Valve that I turn on and off manually when I need to make water, so I turn the booster pump on and off as well.
B9A8B125-A7AA-4A12-9FB4-7E0604E93293.jpeg

I do have an auto-shut off with a float in my water container so when it’s full it stops, but I don’t like having the system with the built up back-pressure for long periods which is why I turn it off when it’s full. The auto shut off is just a safety in case I forget, which happens often enough.
I can’t speak to anything involving a drinking water reservoir as I’ve never run one.
I use the Aquatec 8800 booster pump, lasted me many years.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my personal setup I have my RO/DI off of a Y-Valve that I turn on and off manually when I need to make water, so I turn the booster pump on and off as well.
B9A8B125-A7AA-4A12-9FB4-7E0604E93293.jpeg

I do have an auto-shut off with a float in my water container so when it’s full it stops, but I don’t like having the system with the built up back-pressure for long periods which is why I turn it off when it’s full. The auto shut off is just a safety in case I forget, which happens often enough.
I can’t speak to anything involving a drinking water reservoir as I’ve never run one.
I use the Aquatec 8800 booster pump, lasted me many years.

Thank you so much.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got all of mine working with no issues and a clean install. Ran the rodi output line to fish room and it moves the water there easily. I do have good water pressure naturally in the home (75-80psi).

I also taped the house waste drain in the utility room and ran a waste line from the fish room to it. I'll be draining my awc water and skimmate through it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back