RO/DI Waste Line Auto Shut Off

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you guys using as a solution to shutting off the water flow once your RO reservoir is full?

I'm not talking about shutting the water off to the container but shutting off the water to the waste line.

LMK!

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spectrapure has an auto shut off. When the pressure builds up(float valve in brute can), the water stops flowing. Then a few seconds later the booster pump shuts off (separate shut off device for it). My waste line is plumbed into the sink drain, and I always assumed that the waste water stopped flowing when the system shut down. I believe that is the way the Spectrapure shut off valve is suppose to work, shutting everything down.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not talking about shutting the water off to the container but shutting off the water to
the waste line.

I personally don't know of a system that shuts the water off on the waste line side as topically this water is discarded down a drain. If you're looking to save and store it that would require a little re-engineering of a traditional auto shutoff. The one below has the two halves of the valve that are separated by a piston/diaphragm, which keeps the permeate water on one side and the incoming tap water on the other. As long as the pressure on the tank side is less than roughly 2/3 the pressure on the tap water side, the piston/diaphragm remains open and the unit continues to produce water. As the RO/DI produces water and slowly fills the storage tank, however, pressure on the tank side of the piston eventually becomes strong enough to force the piston toward the tap water side and shut off the incoming tap water, stopping production. That's why a float value is needed to increase the pressure, otherwise you will overfill the container. The RO/DI unit stays off until enough water is removed from the storage tank to drop the float-value/pressure on the tank side of the piston, allowing tap water pressure to push the piston/diaphragm toward the tank side and start RO production again.

200212-Reverse-Osmosis-Auto-Shut-Off-Kit-a_1.jpg

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was evaluating to do the same and somebody told me that it is bad for the membrane to shut the waste water so I decided not to do it. I will try to look for it but I don't remember if it was in this site or on the other.

Will check...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok this is what I was afraid of. There has to be a better way.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solenoid Valve 12v with power supply along with a solid state relay and a ATO (reversed) float would work; you'd be turning off the supply line with this configuration and not waste line.

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip, you need to have a storage tank for the auto shut off to work correctly. My ro would not stop draining waste water, I replaced auto shut off, still waste kept running. Turns out I had a check valve in line with the tank. The auto shut off needs the back pressure from the tank to work correctly .

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't shut it off, I spilt the ro water before the di. I use this water for my ice maker and ro faucet for cooking/drinking.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't shut it off, I spilt the ro water before the di. I use this water for my ice maker and ro faucet for cooking/drinking.

True in your situation with this setup you wouldn't want to shut it down.... you wouldn't get your on demand ice or your RO tank for you faucet. [emoji4]

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a ASO to the RO/DI container. I use an alarm clock to remind me to go shut off the input line when the 5 gallon bucket is about to be full :)

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was evaluating to do the same and somebody told me that it is bad for the membrane to shut the waste water so I decided not to do it. I will try to look for it but I don't remember if it was in this site or on the other.

Will check...

That only hurts the membrane when you do not have a check valve with the ASOV.

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip, you need to have a storage tank for the auto shut off to work correctly. My ro would not stop draining waste water, I replaced auto shut off, still waste kept running. Turns out I had a check valve in line with the tank. The auto shut off needs the back pressure from the tank to work correctly .

I can't get my ASO to shut off the waste water. I have the BRS kit and its going to a reservoir with the manual float switch but it never shuts down. I've called BRS and they have sent me 5 new ASOs before they gave up and stop sending new ones. Don't know what's up.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back