RO/DI with water softener questions?

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Searched but, couldn’t find much info. I live in south Florida with some pretty hard water. I have a kinetico water softener system installed for my house water but, also have one spigot out side that bypasses the water softener for washing the vehicles. I use a DI unit for washing the cars and the DI media seems to last longer when bypassing the softener, hence the one spigot outside. I have the RO buddy on order and I’m wondering what would be better for the tank and filter. Should I connect to the softened water or would it be best connected to the bypassing spigot. Only issues with the spigot is that it’s outdoors and would have to leave the ro buddy exposed to the outdoor elements while I’m filtering the water. I would then store it inside. Thanks for any help

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar set up. Really hard water from the city. If I used the tap water straight it would wear out membrane much quicker since it would have a lot of ppm to reduce. Although the water softener adds a touch of salt to the water, it drops the ppm count drastically and then the membrane in the RODI unit has a much easier time and lasts longer.

I would connect your RODI unit after the water softener and not think twice.

OP
OP
berry79

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Thanks for the help. It would definitely be easier to connect after the softener. That’s what I was hoping to hear.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the type of system you need to use salt? What is your TDS before and after the softener? I get better results from my RO/DI system since I switched to potassium chloride from the sodium chloride. Potassium is more expensive but is better for the RO membrane.

OP
OP
berry79

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the type of system you need to use salt? What is your TDS before and after the softener? I get better results from my RO/DI system since I switched to potassium chloride from the sodium chloride. Potassium is more expensive but is better for the RO membrane.
Yes it uses salt and also has carbon canister as well. Not sure what the TDS is at the moment. Waiting for a tester. I have one on my car wash DI unit but it’s in-line and only reads TDS after the filtration which is 0.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it uses salt and also has carbon canister as well. Not sure what the TDS is at the moment. Waiting for a tester. I have one on my car wash DI unit but it’s in-line and only reads TDS after the filtration which is 0.
I hear it is best to have the carbon before the softener, the chlorine breaks down the softener resin. I had a softener years ago and the resin/beads disintegrated and fouled up my post sediment filter because I had the carbon after the softener.

OP
OP
berry79

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my carbon is before the softener side. We had kinetico come in and install the unit after the house was built and before we moved. They have a pretty good reputation down here and the unit has been great at reducing hard water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar set up. Really hard water from the city. If I used the tap water straight it would wear out membrane much quicker since it would have a lot of ppm to reduce. Although the water softener adds a touch of salt to the water, it drops the ppm count drastically and then the membrane in the RODI unit has a much easier time and lasts longer.

That's not the reason.

A water softener does NOT decrease the ppm TDS of the water. It actually increases it a little bit as it swaps in two sodium ions for one calcium or one magnesium.

What it does do is greatly decrease the tendency for calcium and magnesium carbonate to precipitate onto or into the RO membrane, clogging it. Thus, the softener prolongs the membrane lifetime.

The trade off is it may deplete the DI a little faster since sodium gets through a RO membrane a little more readily than does calcium or magnesium.

Euphylliafreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the middle of nowhere and have well water. It goes threw a water softener. And then threw my 6 stage rodi filter and at the end I have a silicate remover bc I found out that my water was full of it and was causing me issues in my water. I called bulk reef supply and they helped me greatly and advised me that if you running a softener you should run the silicate remover as well. And plus it’s extra filtration to ensure your water is AWESOME

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back