RO Membrane in and out ports.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Clownreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Clownreef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
704
Reaction score
589
Location
San Antonio, Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Dumb question but.. which one is in and out on the membrane? I have a 7 state BRS unit. I have the blue line which I think is on the port into the sediment filters. Is this correct?

Thank you!!
IMG_9029.jpeg
 
Correct. I just need to know which one goes to waste and which does to DI..
 
Hello all,

Dumb question but.. which one is in and out on the membrane? I have a 7 state BRS unit. I have the blue line which I think is on the port into the sediment filters. Is this correct?

Thank you!!
IMG_9029.jpeg
Blue is the R.O water and should go to the DI. Red is the waste water, and should have a flow restrictor of some kind either capillary by the fitting or inline
 
Blue is the R.O water and should go to the DI. Red is the waste water, and should have a flow restrictor of some kind either capillary by the fitting or inline
They’re not color coated. I only had those colors. I’m trying to figure out if I have them plumbed correctly.
 
They’re not color coated. I only had those colors. I’m trying to figure out if I have them plumbed correctly.

I was basing the color coding on the photo provided. The setup looks correct.

6-Stage_RODI_-_BRS-03.jpg
 
I have the waste out on the red line. Looks like the water to waste is the top one?
Does your membrane housing have a plus and minus on the end?

PXL_20240128_211747473.jpg


The minus is the waste line.

If there are no markings, the good water line (that goes to the di) is farthest back on the housing.
 
Does your membrane housing have a plus and minus on the end?

PXL_20240128_211747473.jpg


The minus is the waste line.

If there are no markings, the good water line (that goes to the di) is farthest back on the housing.
No markings.

Then by that notion I should be good!
 
I like to try to explain things so people understand, rather than try to memorize info about their RO system. So how do you know which port is the permeate (RO water) and which port is the concentrate?

This should help. All you have to remember is that permeate comes out of the central stem of the membrane.

RO membrane housing ports.png
 
I like to try to explain things so people understand, rather than try to memorize info about their RO system. So how do you know which port is the permeate (RO water) and which port is the concentrate?

This should help. All you have to remember is that permeate comes out of the central stem of the membrane.

RO membrane housing ports.png
Thank you!
 
  • The graphic from the pet supplies vendor above has some issues:
    *Sediment filters and carbon blocks are radial flow, rather than axial flow cartridges. Water does not enter at one end and exit the other (axial flow). For these filters, water passes through the side wall into a hollow in the center. The flow direction through the DI carts is correct - they are axial flow. Ever wonder why some carts trap air in the upper part of the housing? Ever notice that this only happens with axial flow carts?
  • *RO membranes really should remove more than 95% of the TDS
  • *The blue-faced inline TDS meter is a DM1 - with only two probes. The meter with three probes is the TRM1, and it has a green face: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/trm1-tri-inline-tds-meter/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new