RO Tlux 90

Hammer1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my stupidity, but I recently purchased a RO Tlux 90. This is my first time dealing with this type of tank, and only my second saltwater tank ever. But, unfortunately, the tank came with absolutely no direction on how to set up. The problem I'm having is the overflow sounds like a toilet flushing, it's horrible. I've tried to balance the valve with the return pump, but the noise is deafening. What can I do?

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there Hammer, hope you're doing well. First and foremost, Please, do not feel stupid or believe you're stupid. We all start somewhere right?

Before we get started - is there any chance you could provide us with a picture of your setup, from the overflow, down to the valve you're using? This would be of tremendous help and allow us to decipher which type of overflow system this is (Such as durso, herbie, etc). We could point you towards the most ideal solutions from there.

So context, typically toilet flushing is due to a temporary siphon activating and then deactiviting. I'm going to quote some valuable information here by @Flippers4pups that will hopefully get you started off on the right foot until we can get a picture from you!

If the below info doesn't help, perhaps we can get a little air tube action going on your overflow, we can also change out the valves to a gate valve if it isn't already, and we can try fine tuning more.

Best wishes to you Hammer!

Durso's can be "noisy" and will have some "noise" as water and air mix as water travels down to the sump. The amount of tolerable "noise" is subjective and varies between reef keepers.

With that said, standard durso's height in the overflow box must be determined by the constant water level in the overflow box while the system is running. The water level in the overflow box should be somewhere mid point on the overflow box weir (teeth). Not too high as this will causes water and air to "suck" at the pipe end. Too low and the incoming air won't be enough and a temporary siphon will happen.

This is the starting pointing of setting the durso stand pipe height. If the water level in the overflow box is lower than the weir, water will "splash" as it falls into the box. This can be a source of "noise". Set your initial incoming flow into the DT by this.

Now you can set the durso stand pipe height. The curved end with the air hole needs to be out of the water half way, with the pipe end submerged.

If the return pump's flow into the DT is too great, the durso may not be able to supply enough air to mix with the water traveling down the pipe creating a temporary siphon. This condition causes the "toilet" flushing sound. (Temporary siphon) Increasing the air hole diameter may help, but let's look at the drain pipe below the tank.......

Drain pipes from the DT to the sump need to be as vertical as possible. All the way down! If you must travel horizontal over to the sump, make sure you tilt the run slightly down and avoid any 90 degree elbows if possible. The reason is air gets trapped temporarily in the pipe with the water and can also cause the "toilet" sound.

Drain exits at the sump need to be no more than an 1/2"-1" below the sump water line. More than that can cause some back pressure in the drain, thus causing a temporary siphon and the "toilet" flushing sound. Water/air mix exiting the drain can cause noise. This can be reduced by use of filter socks or a "bubble box".

If all of this has been done and it still makes "toilet" flushing sound, reduce the return pump flow to the DT till the sound is gone.

Hope this helps, but remember durso's are never completely quiet.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back