RO Tubing outlet from Brute trash can

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to setup a gravity fed system from my brute trash can to my ATO reservoir. I want to connect RO tubing from the bottom of the brute trash can to the my reservoir. I am wondering what bulkhead/uniseal should I use to get a good seal on the curved wall? I guess I should be using a uniseal but having troubles finding one for 1/4 Ro tubing.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to setup a gravity fed system from my brute trash can to my ATO reservoir. I want to connect RO tubing from the bottom of the brute trash can to the my reservoir. I am wondering what bulkhead/uniseal should I use to get a good seal on the curved wall? I guess I should be using a uniseal but having troubles finding one for 1/4 Ro tubing.

Here you go...

OP
OP
Ashwinclement

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go...

I have looked at these, but these 1/4" uniseals say they are for pipes for 1/4" ID not OD, RO tubing is 1/4" OD.

OP
OP
Ashwinclement

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically use regular bulkhead for 1/2" pipe and use a reducer to fit RO tubing

I have a feeling you’d have a harder time getting that watertight myself. I’ve had this setup awhile now and it’s perfect.

1/2 inch uniseal (just make sure there are no burrs in the hole with some light sanding)
1/2 inch slip to threaded
1/2 inch threaded to 1/4 inch push fit

image.jpg

here’s the threaded to push connect I bought: MALIDA Quick Connector Female...

If you’re looking for a good float valve, these are what I use and they’re 100% plastic, adjustable, and happen to attach to 1/4 RO with the above threaded to push connect adapters. ROYHOO 4PCS 1/2 Inch Float Ball...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what you describe. I have a 40 gallon brute with RODI. I have a spigot for bulk water demands (water changes), but have included this bulkhead with feeds a gravity fed ATO.

Just remember the you will need to use a washer (not included). I used one from a garden hose which worked nicely.

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some 1/4 inch uniseals to do the job at first, but the second I got them I felt they wouldn’t work. They’re just too small and thin and then RO tubing is not as stiff as some bigger PVC tubing, so I didn’t think it could possibly make a good seal.

As for bulkheads in a curved surface, it’s possibly to get them working and I’ve done it with a 1/4 bulkhead on a feed and seed container, but it took me multiple tests and tightens to get it water tight. I would have to fill it up and only once it was full would it start leaking with the extra pressure. Save yourself some trouble and just get a 1/2” uniseal. Just don’t drill it too low in case you mess up the hole. You can always go up a size in uniseal if you mess it up.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a 1/2” or 3/4” uniseal myself. You will never be able to get low enough to get all the liquid anyway so at least make it usable for future if change setup. Short piece of 1/2” pipe and and npt female end. Then 1/2 npt male to 1/4” pushlock fitting. Is it the cheapest route no. But the lower you put the 1/4” uniseal the harder it is to redrill if change uses because you are drilling off center.

OP
OP
Ashwinclement

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the best approach is to use 1/2" uniseal and use a reducer to get it to 1/4" RO tubing size. 1/2" uniseal would also make it future proof incase I want to use it for a mixing station. I will explore this option. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't leak? I got the murdock 1/4" bulkhead but it has no gasket, did you add a gasket?

A washer from a garden hose did the trick. And you have enough rigidity in the bulkhead to allow you to tighten it down without stripping it.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A washer from a garden hose did the trick. And you have enough rigidity in the bulkhead to allow you to tighten it down without stripping it.
Wait, so what was specifically used here?

The murdock 1/4" bulkhead and a garden hose gasket?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back