RO unit push fittings leaking

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally cranked up the RO unit and my inlet and outlet leak like crazy. I've taken the lines out reinstalled straight as possible. Still leaking like crazy.

Its an aquatic life 4 stage

OP
OP
P

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they're factory cuts that came with the kit. I installed another clear line to check the inlet

0717191936_Film1.jpg 0717191936a_Film1.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if the end is cut on an angle it will cause leaks. May want to be sure the cut on end is flat and force them in until you feel it stop. May help

OP
OP
P

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if the end is cut on an angle it will cause leaks. May want to be sure the cut on end is flat and force them in until you feel it stop. May help

They're factory cuts. I'm trying to find my ro line cutter to see if that's it, but they're pretty dang straight

wcodriscoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is an o ring inside those fittings sometimes a little fish tank friendly lube helps on the end of the hose and make sure you get them seated all the way in.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would re-cut the ends of the tubes that are causing issues. A new razor blade works well as long as you are careful with the the blade. Then reinstall the tubes with a good firm push. You should feel resistance before it seats all the way.

To remove the tubing from fitting;
Turn off water supply
Push tubing into the fitting firmly
Hold ring towards fitting
Pull tubing firmly out of fitting

OP
OP
P

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clipped the ends straight. Reinstalled and same issue. Dang it didn't even occur to me that the RO unit might have issues. I need to get to mixing asap.

Is it possible to put too much pressure going through it? I didn't put a regulator or anything off the washer supply line.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are pushed in enough? can you measure? pull one out, mark with a pen and then insert, and measure, tell us how far you push them in

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad, I have many R.O. fittings that leak, not just the john guest style.

I have a tool specifically made for cutting this tubing square, it still leaked.
Ultimately replacing a few parts and making sure there was enough slack to not put pressure on them fixed it.

The colored tubing that came with my RO is a little bit smaller on average then the replacement clear tubing I bought locally at the hardware store. Combine that with being a little out of round and you have a scenario that may leak for some but not others.

OP
OP
P

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad, I have many R.O. fittings that leak, not just the john guest style.

I have a tool specifically made for cutting this tubing square, it still leaked.
Ultimately replacing a few parts and making sure there was enough slack to not put pressure on them fixed it.

The colored tubing that came with my RO is a little bit smaller on average then the replacement clear tubing I bought locally at the hardware store. Combine that with being a little out of round and you have a scenario that may leak for some but not others.

The only thing that has me worried is its on the unit itself. Maybe I don't have them going in straight enough. I have swapped out the stock lines with clear heavy duty.

I should of tested before mounting it in a nice cabinet. I'm going to pull it and put it in a tote to see if I can figure it out tonight. Lesson learned use a drip tray if you mount it in something

OP
OP
P

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I stopped the leaks, but production is very poor right now. I'm trying to locate a pressure gauge I can use in a push fitting.

I also didn't read the fine print. Its off my washing machine cold supply and it says optimal temp is dang near what you'd keep your display at. I think my pressure is good, but I guarantee my temp is way under 77. I'm not sure if I can make this thing work the way I have it. I have probably 1/2" in a 5g bucket over the course of 7hrs. What's a brother got to do to get 240g's of ro to mix?? .90c per gallon at the store x 240g = $204

I don't remember having these issues last time I set up a more traditional rodi unit, but maybe I'm misremembering

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I stopped the leaks, but production is very poor right now. I'm trying to locate a pressure gauge I can use in a push fitting.

I also didn't read the fine print. Its off my washing machine cold supply and it says optimal temp is dang near what you'd keep your display at. I think my pressure is good, but I guarantee my temp is way under 77. I'm not sure if I can make this thing work the way I have it. I have probably 1/2" in a 5g bucket over the course of 7hrs. What's a brother got to do to get 240g's of ro to mix?? .90c per gallon at the store x 240g = $204

I don't remember having these issues last time I set up a more traditional rodi unit, but maybe I'm misremembering

temperature should not affect flow rate that significantly, to result in less than 1 gallon in 7 hours... it's got to be your water pressure

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back