Rochester, New York

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the hobby. I have some torch, hammer, Xenia, and birds nest coral that I want to trade/sell so I can start a frag rack in my 20 gallon. Does anybody know of LFS that are in the Rochester, New York area that will trade with me? If so , I'm going to frag 1" birds nest. How much would the 1" frags go for? I also have a camel shrimp in my quarantine with 2 small live rocks that I've been meaning to get rid of. Will any LFS that you know of take them?
4fea5bd038b2494a6258d1d7da1fb37d.jpg
6a2d17dc7aa1006890d760fa4f116a75.jpg
7903a7c37f87de3913286ae991a2a6a1.jpg
4e32c58dbb9dbf3956ae3424a3c5a1ed.jpg

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm currently growing out my coral, then I'll try and frag them. What LFS do you recommend?
The only one I have really been to is Coral Dudes. They are alright guys. Haven't really dealt with them enough to give you a review. I've bought most of my stuff from cultivated reef online out of Maine. Harry's Frags is also a good source of hearty corals.

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the trading but a good shop near Rochester in Canandaigua is The Salty Dog Shop. The owners are good guys and always willing to help when needed.

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there I am in Rochester ny. Always looking to talk reef and always down to trade frags. I am running a 120gallom reef mixed sps tank.
b9a0aea317211aa3975ea9f37b56cd16.jpg
b25edafe0528486e9590b9db5118048f.jpg
f40a8ec8fdbecae52263df188d8cee1f.jpg
562520574d7fe398261def7c31b3a9dd.jpg

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a year The Salty Dog Shop has a frag swap might have to pay attention ti their FB page.
I'm from Buffalo and there is one coming up in Sept 23 the Fragtoberfest. We also have had the Queen City frag fest the past few years in April.

moulton1853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was just at the Coral Dudes yesterday and have dealt with them in the past, good guys. Also have been to The Reef Shop in Irondequoit, got the guys I bought there in my profile pic. If you ever get to Buffalo check out ARC(A Reef Creation). The Petco around here is hit or miss. Sometimes the tanks look great and other days not so much.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was just at the Coral Dudes yesterday and have dealt with them in the past, good guys. Also have been to The Reef Shop in Irondequoit, got the guys I bought there in my profile pic. If you ever get to Buffalo check out ARC(A Reef Creation). The Petco around here is hit or miss. Sometimes the tanks look great and other days not so much.

I'll definitely check them out

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WnYreefer My wife and I got a flyer for the Fragtoberfest swap from ARC when were visited Buffalo last month. I've never been to one of these events in the Buffalo area so I'm not sure how it's arranged but I'm looking forward to it.

@moulton1853 Aren't Pistol Shrimp and Goby combo's the best? I have a pair in each of my tanks.

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheSoloist
You'll have a good time! The Fragtoberfest I believe will be my in a fire hall with ample parking. If you're looking for anything let me know or help getting their. I mostly have SPS with a small selection of z/p and chalices.

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WnYreefer Thank you very much, I appreciate that offer. I'm on a serious SPS kick since I've gotten my tank dialed in and have upgraded my lighting. I'm going to be looking for the following while I'm there: Rainbow Monti, Tyree Pink Lemonade, Strawberry Shortcake, Bubblegum Digi and some Baby Blue Acro. Not sure if you have any of these.

It's kind of a shame but I've found that I have to drive over to Buffalo when The Reef Shoppe doesn't have what I'm looking for. I generally don't complain about how LFS's price their products but some of the prices being charged are a bit crazy these days. Either the hobby is changing or I've just been away from buying corals for too long. :)

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WnYreefer Thank you very much, I appreciate that offer. I'm on a serious SPS kick since I've gotten my tank dialed in and have upgraded my lighting. I'm going to be looking for the following while I'm there: Rainbow Monti, Tyree Pink Lemonade, Strawberry Shortcake, Bubblegum Digi and some Baby Blue Acro. Not sure if you have any of these.

It's kind of a shame but I've found that I have to drive over to Buffalo when The Reef Shoppe doesn't have what I'm looking for. I generally don't complain about how LFS's price their products but some of the prices being charged are a bit crazy these days. Either the hobby is changing or I've just been away from buying corals for too long. :)

Does the Reef Shoppe do trade ins?

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a nice Cali tort and a small Oregon tort that I might be able to frag a very small branch from. I do have a pink lemonade but not ready to fragable yet. I'm planning on doing a water change this weekend. I'll snap some pics and let me know if you see anything you like.

Tell me about it. The pricing gets out of hand on some of these pieces. The LE stuff especially. Ya know cause the ocean only makes one of each. Don't get me wrong I do like some of the designer stuff but I fit what I can fit in my budget if it's too expensive I wait.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been to the reef shoppe yet, so do they also have freshwater? I know abc aquarium does. Also will abc aquarium do trade ins?

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice Cali tort and a small Oregon tort that I might be able to frag a very small branch from. I do have a pink lemonade but not ready to fragable yet. I'm planning on doing a water change this weekend. I'll snap some pics and let me know if you see anything you like.

Tell me about it. The pricing gets out of hand on some of these pieces. The LE stuff especially. Ya know cause the ocean only makes one of each. Don't get me wrong I do like some of the designer stuff but I fit what I can fit in my budget if it's too expensive I wait.

A frag of both of those would be great, I've never had them before so I looked them up. I'd be interested to see what colors I end up with under my LED's. That Pink Lemonade is hard to come by, ARC had a nice piece but it wasn't ready to frag yet either. I have a piece that has incrusted a plug but it hasn't started to branch at all. It took it about 4 weeks to color up from brown-out after I added. It's definitely happier now but would love to see it go vertical.

I'm kind of old-school when it comes to the designer stuff. Just seems like a lot of the stuff that we used to collect that has been cultured to change colors and it's renamed to something else and over-priced. I have a few frags of stuff that I bought a few months ago that I didn't want to pass up but I know I was over-charged for it. I've found that TRS and ARC have the most fair pricing, but I may be a little biased because of how I'm treated when I shop there. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back