Rock cleaning

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to ask a newbie question but I don't know the answer and can not find it online. I am looking to clean rock I purchased from a used tank that was broke down. I think the rock definitely needs to be soaked in bleach. My question is, is this metal tub an acceptable place to bleach them? I don't want to hand grenade my tank before I even have it cleaned so any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance -Bill

20210427_183248.jpg

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of bleaching it, why not just cure it? Put all the rock in a plastic tub with some salt water and a power head and let it go for a week or so, until it passes the smell test. You can even add some bacteria in a bottle of you want.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of rock? Is it from a running tank that was fine then just shut down, and then the rock dried out? What is the condition of the rock? And why do you feel like you need to attack it with bleach?

Maybe you don't need to go extreme you can use a pressure washer with saltwater in a bucket, but im not sure with the information you have provided..

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recommended to use bleach because I believe it is frock from atleast 2 tanks, unknown how long it has been out of water, and was informed by my friend who's getting me into the hobbie there was signs of pests on it. Is there a better way?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recommended to use bleach because I believe it is frock from atleast 2 tanks, unknown how long it has been out of water, and was informed by my friend who's getting me into the hobbie there was signs of pests on it. Is there a better way?
if its dry to the bone no pest would survive... if its just allot of dried on crud i would pressure wash it with r.o water let it sit out for sure in the sun to whiten it back up then cure it in a brute for 2-12 months.

what kind of rock is it?

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that good bad or indifferent? I purchased a 75 gal tank, sump, stand, lights, rock, chemicals, ect ect. and I really have no idea what I am doing.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that good bad or indifferent? I purchased a 75 gal tank, sump, stand, lights, rock, chemicals, ect ect. and I really have no idea what I am doing.
Indifferent, lol it looks just like the base rock I bought off of Amazon, your's is just older and greener looking. Mine is still white and I hate it. It's the biggest reason I'm going to add a bunch of live rock from gulf rock.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry base rock too. I just hosed it down with a garden hose. I also didn’t bother with starting with RODI water either because it takes forever to make 75 gal. Most here would argue against it, but I had no issues starting with tap (hose) water for the initial cycle. I managed to get my parameters in check after the cycle with phosphate removing pads etc.

And since you are starting fresh, don’t bother curing it, just cure it in your tank. Do your aquascape, add live sand and a few pieces of live rock, cycle it for a month or so, do a water change with RODI and add fish. And since there are no fish in the tank, you can even mix the initial salt right in the tank. Easy peasy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back