Rock Flower Anemone…spawning?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nick711
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nick711

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2023
Messages
271
Reaction score
164
Location
NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, from everything I’ve read RFAs release a milky substance when spawning, what I don’t know, is if this is consistent for the males and females.

Checking my tank tonight and noticed one of my RFAs was puffed up significantly more than usual.

Took a closer look, and noticed it was rather translucent and I was watching small white granules release from near the tentacles and accumulate near the RFA mouth. I’m not sure if these are eggs, waste, or something else…but was able to capture a short video of such.



Apologies for the poor quality, but with lights out I had to use a flashlight to capture. You can see the small white granules dropping towards the center and accumulating (you can see the white ‘lump’ near the mouth). These are all inside the RFA, not on the exterior surface. I saw only one get released, but not exactly sure what I am witnessing!

Figured I would share as I found it interesting & in case anyone has seen something similar.
 
Not 100% but believe it is males- and females spit out tiny rfs
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new