Rock Flower Anemone - Any Tips on Care? Really want to Breed / Spawn them Can I mix them with other

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one of those would work in my tank, since they like slightly lower light?

EDIT: Once it's matured more, of course.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would never hurt a fish.
I have 2 and also a RBTA. in my opinion they are the easiest anemone to keep. Just put them in the sand bed at the base of a rock and let them attack their foot. If they don't like where they are they will move
Some people have had luck with them making babies. If you feed them a good amount then you might get lucky ;)
Hope this helps

DustanT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just had babies about a month ago from his red flower and I got one for 5 bucks. Not a great pic but its almost dime sized.

20160602_160125.jpg

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine coral boom or ground up mysis shrimp until they are big enough to take regular mysis. They say you don't have to feed them, but they do much better and grow faster if you do. They don't hurt anything, rarely move. Mine produced 3 babies...

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an invasive Rock Anemeone, and had to cut it off the rock. I got 2 from AQUASD in March. Both haven't moved much. I was told by AQUASD that it takes between 4-5 years in perfect water to reproduce

image.jpg

Keith_0011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an invasive Rock Anemeone, and had to cut it off the rock. I got 2 from AQUASD in March. Both haven't moved much. I was told by AQUASD that it takes between 4-5 years in perfect water to reproduce

image.jpg

I purchased from a diver in the keys last summer. I got several rather large ones and an assortment of others and purchased a few more retail. I think I have about 19 total now. But I had babies this spring. I think I had 6 in one batch and about 3 or 4 about a month later.

Keith_0011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. I'm sure you will find someone local to rehome them to.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those photos do look a bit ... saturated ... but rock flowers can be pretty eye-popping in person!

I've got seven or eight of them, all of which are doing well except the two most "ultra" colored ones. Go figure! The others all eat, bask and grow. So far, I've lost no fish to rock flowers or to maxi-mini carpets, of which I've got five - but had a green mandarin get stung and killed by a 1.5" "Bali Bloodred" carpet anemone. Tiny thing, looks like red velvet with a green mouth, and no way could it ever consume a mandy . . . or even a neon goby. :-/

~Bruce

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested. How many do you have? I'd like to see what colors you have and how much you want for them... (rock anemones)

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

How big did they get to get invasive?

Thomas Mansell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I bought two rock anemones about a year ago, each 2-3" in diameter. I started off feeding them mysis, but haven't directly fed them in over 6 months now. They are now about 3-5" in diameter depending on the day. Have never moved after I placed them on thier rocks. They just recently spawned and created approximately 20-30 new rock flower anemones. I would say the only thing necessary for breeding is good water parameters and a scheduled lighting system. Other than that, I think my spawning numbers were so high because they are relatively close to each other. Also you have to have a male and female to spawn, so not just any two rock flower anemones can spawn. The babies mostly stick near the mother anemone, although there are some that float to other spots in tank. I even have one that made it to the sump. I will post pictures shortly.

P.s. rock flower anemones do not eating living fish unless they are stupid fish haha, but shrimp are easily eaten by the rock anemones. Especially when directly feeding anemone, the shrimp will come try to steal food and end up getting stuck and eaten.

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about 10 and then I got about 20 babies at once. The babies grew to about 1/2 dime size, then all the babies and all but 3 of my others just disappeared. Not sure what happened. My 3 shrimp aggravate them to death as I feed them every day with mysis shrimp. My emerald crabs disappeared. As far as I know I only have 1 yellow tang, a miniature angel fish, 2 clowns, a leopord wrasse, 3 dragonets, 1 filefish and 3 shrimp..

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back