OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful with the black sand, there are a couple of threads on here where people sent theirs out for testing when their coral failed to thrive ror even survive and it had elevated rates of some kind of element that was killing their coral. I think the info was in "turtle's deep blue" thread.

I've been using black sand for almost 15 years. And know many who have used it long term as well with zero problems. To be blunt my opinion on black sand being a big problem is about the same as blaming the ceramic media blocks for coral issues :)

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, glasscages is a little annoying. Took a bit to get my order status and they don't seem like they enjoy talking to you. But anyway, the tanks are finished and will be taken to the airport "sometime this week". So not much of an update there. But they're done, I'm sure they'll be shipped someday.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an e-mail from glasscages just barely. The message in its entirety said "these shipped yesterday".... seriously not happy with these guys. Anyway, when I get an airbill number I'll be picking them up and I can actually get started :)

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks look great. This whole thing is going to be interesting seeing as the tanks are only 6" deep, probably only going to have 5" of water if I don't screw up the plumbing. But those problems are to come. Here are the rocks. 20lbs.

20180822_184607.jpg

20180822_184613.jpg

20180822_184620.jpg

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it coming along? I’m considering doing a rfa breeder myself. I installed a new frag tank, and have a newly freed up 18x18x10 that’s plumbed to my main system I’m thinking of using.

F4FD50EB-4329-451A-90F3-7BB5897E6B4F.jpeg

That's great, do it!

Things are coming along slowly. I decided to isolate the tanks, so it will be a little more difficult but oh well.
I painted the backs and two sides black, I like how sleek and clean they look.
20180907_095455.jpg

got water in them and they're now cycling. I don't like the dry rock, so I'll add a couple pieces of live to get things seeded a little more how I want them.

20180907_095614.jpg

Doesn't take much flow to get things really moving in these systems, for now I'll leave them a little higher but bring them down a little once livestock starts going in. I'll also be adding sand to the bottom system today, which will be for the young anemones.

As for lighting, I'll be going with LED, and I'll likely order them this week. Thanks for following along!

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now there's sand in the nursery system. Mmm milky.
20180907_132211.jpg

20180907_132235.jpg

And @DangerDave that's sweet! You're welcome to post a pic here I'd love to see them. As for inducing spawning I've found no good paper that gives a for sure way. I did read that same magazine when it came out, it initially got me interested :) Stability helps a lot, some say mimicking a lunar cycle is key, but that's pretty much been shown false as well. So keep them well fed in a stable system and when they're mature they'll spawn.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
things are looking good! I'm cycling it pretty strong due to the load I'm planning on having, but should only be a week or two more. I only had time to snap one pic this morning and it's one of the lights that arrived this morning. Had to go to work didn't even have time to turn it on. They should work perfectly on these shallow systems. I'll update more after work when I've got them installed.
20180917_093231.jpg

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had pretty good luck with my SPS dominant tank. I do have to remove them and put them in this Nem Box but it’s working. The mortality rate if you don’t segregate them and spot feed is very very high in my experience.
8C25095A-8511-4288-9A56-C0BB999CADBC.jpeg

Those look great! And you're correct about mortality rate. They do best if in their own system or area within a system where they can't get lost, preyed upon or damaged and if they're fed frequently. In my last breeding system I would feed the young every 2 days.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about time I did this, and it's been on my mind for some time as I've discussed my past breeding success with some of you. With my recent move it's left me with only remnants of my display and no projects. That won't do.

So here we go, my official Epicystis crucifer breeding system.

I'm going to be using two smaller, shallow tanks that I'll likely plumb together. One for adults and one for growing out young. I wanted a smaller size so I could have a large population of adults close together to ensure highest probability of sperm capture by females. I'm thinking 20 or 30 adults in the breeding group to start.

Filtration will be simple. The system will be on shelves so I'm thinking on having water flow from top tank, to second tank, to sump, then back up to the top. It will have a slow flow through to keep everything suspended for longer. What will be in the sump is still being decided.

Lighting has been, and always is my most difficult decision. If I could put halides over them I would, as my best breeding success with them was in a system lit by a 20,000k Radium. But sadly that won't work with these. I'm leaning heavily towards LED, but T5's are still a possibility. We'll see.

I'm very excited to finally have this starting, I'll keep you all updated on progress in the coming days.
following

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 4 clustered together. Low flow area. Just curious how old these have to be to breed?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back