Rock Flower Anemone Breeding System

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I put a moonlight led system on (apex)...
I have a moonlight (Kessil A160 we) that i use and now after about a week of my new RFA’s adjusting, I’m pretty sure they spawned last night.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a moonlight (Kessil A160 we) that i use and now after about a week of my new RFA’s adjusting, I’m pretty sure they spawned last night.

What makes you think they spawned? I’d like to know what I should be looking out for, short of seeing them in action.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular time? Is it when it’s on the moonlights? I was observing the tank later in the evening last night hoping to catch some action. Didn’t see much, but I turned off the flow for a bit to get an overhead shot. This is with low lights (blue only), and an orange gel filter to compensate.

81483D60-CA89-450A-8057-A9BFD77BED43.jpeg

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it happen at about 10pm. 1.5 hours after moonlights turn on.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how do you go about removing the babies from a rock to move into another tank? I would like to start propagating and selling as you don't see many labeled as captive bread.

david_ma

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
I’ve tried many ways in the last and I came down to the conclusion that it’s best to leave them with their mother till they are grown enough. They had the biggest chance of survival by doing so from my experience

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried many ways in the last and I came down to the conclusion that it’s best to leave them with their mother till they are grown enough. They had the biggest chance of survival by doing so from my experience
Would you recommend spot feeding with small foods while in the DT, then moving when they are large enough?

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how do you go about removing the babies from a rock to move into another tank? I would like to start propagating and selling as you don't see many labeled as captive bread.

They're not attached very well when initially released, and are pretty easy to move. I've used everything from turkey basters to siphon hoses to move them.

My results have been entirely different, that having them separated and fed yeilds better results. But that's why we're all contributing, so we know what's best.

Would you recommend spot feeding with small foods while in the DT, then moving when they are large enough?

I start spot feeding a day or so after they're released, when you move them is up to you. Either way yes food is a good idea :)

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything specific you guys are doing with them? I'm about 5 months in. Most of them have grown from the size of a quarter to the size of a drink coaster. Some are still in-between. I haven't seen any spawning events, and haven't had any babies yet.

I'm going to be patient here and just let it go at least through the end of 2019, but any tips would be welcome. Any detail, even if it seems mundane please feel free to offer it.

Dave

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any advice for dealing with bacterial infections? I lost almost all my mature anemones this past month. Slowly one by one they would melt. I even tried relocating some to a different tank but it didn’t help. All my babies seem to be present but all the adult but two have melted.

Back