Rock Flower Anemone Breeding System

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about time I did this, and it's been on my mind for some time as I've discussed my past breeding success with some of you. With my recent move it's left me with only remnants of my display and no projects. That won't do.

So here we go, my official Epicystis crucifer breeding system.

I'm going to be using two smaller, shallow tanks that I'll likely plumb together. One for adults and one for growing out young. I wanted a smaller size so I could have a large population of adults close together to ensure highest probability of sperm capture by females. I'm thinking 20 or 30 adults in the breeding group to start.

Filtration will be simple. The system will be on shelves so I'm thinking on having water flow from top tank, to second tank, to sump, then back up to the top. It will have a slow flow through to keep everything suspended for longer. What will be in the sump is still being decided.

Lighting has been, and always is my most difficult decision. If I could put halides over them I would, as my best breeding success with them was in a system lit by a 20,000k Radium. But sadly that won't work with these. I'm leaning heavily towards LED, but T5's are still a possibility. We'll see.

I'm very excited to finally have this starting, I'll keep you all updated on progress in the coming days.
Exciting!

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intrigued. I’d love for more people to actively aquaculture inverts & sponges, more rarely seen things. I’d support anyone doing that. Would love some photosynthetic sponges & gorgonians or shrimp that are 100% aquaculture. I don’t like buying wild collected if I don’t have to.

Chad Vossen does awesome work but he’s working at BRS now & doesn’t seem to do as much, though he recently bred tuxedo urchins.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 clustered together. Low flow area. Just curious how old these have to be to breed?

There's mixed data on this. Some will say they need to be "adult" sized. But In my last journal I documented one about the size of a dime that appeared to have released several offspring.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this thread as I am setting up a RFA nano this would be cool to have babies RFA.
so my understanding is you must separate and feed them or the die?

love what you are going. if you have/when some fore sale PM me.

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love this thread as I am setting up a RFA nano this would be cool to have babies RFA.
so my understanding is you must separate and feed them or the die?

love what you are going. if you have/when some fore sale PM me.

Thank you, sounds like you'll have a pretty sweet system yourself. As for separation, they can absolutely survive in the same system/area that they were released into. There is however a very high mortality/loss rate when the young are left to their own devices in aquaria, which is why we try to separate them and feed to keep as many as possible.

And of course, I'm hoping to be able to share as many as possible. I'll keep everyone updated as things progress, but life has been in the way so it's very slow going right now. Thanks for following along :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as hobbyist I think its great we take some thing in to our own hands. if we can fine tune this process and get a few ppl with breeding systems they would benefit the hobby greatly.
defiantly f allowing and if I can convince the GF that I need a few more tank might try my hand at this to, be a fun project.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)
I just picked up 35 of these guys, most over 5”, but 3 are smaller.
They all went into my 180 clownfish harem tank. I am away on a trip right now but I think it is going to be really cool coming home to see them after they have settled in for a few days from adding them on Thursday.
I would love to see an update!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of baby RFAs, but the majority seem to disappear after being ~.25” in diameter. Very few grow to adult size.... not sure why.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of baby RFAs, but the majority seem to disappear after being ~.25” in diameter. Very few grow to adult size.... not sure why.
Really need to be well fed to make it to adult . Which should be easier in a closed system.dedicated to thier requirements.....sounds like i need another tank...;)

OP
OP
AcroNem

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really need to be well fed to make it to adult . Which should be easier in a closed system.dedicated to thier requirements.....sounds like i need another tank...;)

They do need their own system (or at least something to house them in a system) and consistent feeding or else the mortality rate is very high.

What do you feed yours?

I'll feed adults things like mysis shrimp, Pacifica krill, high protein pellets, 800 micron golden pearls, things like that. For the offspring I start with a mix of Reed mariculture shellfish diet (definitely the best mix of phytoplankton, including two species of Diatoms that work very well for most all small suspension feeding invertebrates), frozen rotifers, golden pearls in the 5-200 micron size range and any other small foods I tink of adding. And then increase food size as they grow. That's fantastic you just got a bunch of them, you're welcome to post a pic here I'd love to see them.

As for me, I moved (again) so this system ended up sitting with only rock and clean up crew, and my new job left me with only sunday off so ordering in has been impossible, I'm shooting for adding 20 more or so this coming week. It's been killing me not being able to work on this project.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do need their own system (or at least something to house them in a system) and consistent feeding or else the mortality rate is very high.

I'll feed adults things like mysis shrimp, Pacifica krill, high protein pellets, 800 micron golden pearls, things like that. For the offspring I start with a mix of Reed mariculture shellfish diet (definitely the best mix of phytoplankton, including two species of Diatoms that work very well for most all small suspension feeding invertebrates), frozen rotifers, golden pearls in the 5-200 micron size range and any other small foods I tink of adding. And then increase food size as they grow. That's fantastic you just got a bunch of them, you're welcome to post a pic here I'd love to see them.

As for me, I moved (again) so this system ended up sitting with only rock and clean up crew, and my new job left me with only sunday off so ordering in has been impossible, I'm shooting for adding 20 more or so this coming week. It's been killing me not being able to work on this project.
Thanks for the advice on foods.
Where are you ordering bulk quantities from? And if you don’t mind sharing how much you pay that would be great.
I have a dedicated system for breeding them. It is only a couple months old and I have around 40 babies.

david_ma

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
IMG_0498.JPG

Im a huge fan of RFA and currently hoarding over 49 ultras in one tank. In fact, this pic is a little old and I’ve since added a few more ultras. I have successfully bred them in past with over 400 babies. On the contrary of what most people believe, I think rock flower anemones are very easy and very hard at the same time. Let me explain: when they die, it happens quick and you cant save them. They don’t like to be mixed with other nems and you’ll have to have a stable tank for them to breed. Their SIZE DOESNT MATTER FIR BREEDING, in fact, most of the babies I had came from one mother who is 2” across. They’re easy because once they settle, they’re good for a long time. One last thing is I noticed they’ll only breed in the summers. Happy reefing fellows.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0498.JPG

Im a huge fan of RFA and currently hoarding over 49 ultras in one tank. In fact, this pic is a little old and I’ve since added a few more ultras. I have successfully bred them in past with over 400 babies. On the contrary of what most people believe, I think rock flower anemones are very easy and very hard at the same time. Let me explain: when they die, it happens quick and you cant save them. They don’t like to be mixed with other nems and you’ll have to have a stable tank for them to breed. Their SIZE DOESNT MATTER FIR BREEDING, in fact, most of the babies I had came from one mother who is 2” across. They’re easy because once they settle, they’re good for a long time. One last thing is I noticed they’ll only breed in the summers. Happy reefing fellows.
Do you feed them? I have been mildly feeding mine. Maybe once every week some times every two weeks. I have seen people say as much as every other day. I have also see babies grow up at one of my favorite shops with out any feeding.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0498.JPG

Everyone's tank is different so take this with a grain of salt but i have witnessed mine breeding all year round. Specifically around the winter and summer solstices. That's when their big breeding event occurs.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 45ish in a small 10 gallon frag tank that is plumbed to my main system. It has light flow in the tank. There are about 35 flowers in there. I started with 17 a few months ago, and added 18 more about a month ago. I’m spot feeding each of them daily. Mostly mysis, sometimes pellets or reef frenzy. They all came in the size of quarter. The first batch has doubled in size, some bigger. The second batch are growing too. I’m patiently waiting to see if they breed. I’d love to have them carpet my display.

A46D513E-DB80-4B67-8782-820EBBA46273.jpeg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back