Rock Flower Anemone eating Sponge

  • Thread starter Thread starter GoodKat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GoodKat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2018
Messages
109
Reaction score
79
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just wanted to document what I thought was an odd occurrence. I have a large Rock Flower Anemone (about 5 inches). Tonight during a water change a broke off some fragments of basic white sponge and it floated toward the anemone. To my surprise, the anemone caught it and ate it. I tried to dislodge it but the anemone held tight and ate it.

Hopefully it can digest it. I thought they only ate meaty prey.

It anyone finds this, I think you can add sponges to the list of things they'll eat.

Best,
 
I have a lot of experience with RFA, both in my tanks and in the wild. I'm not at all surprised that it would ingest a sponge. Anemones will eat almost anything they can hold onto. Some things they can't digest, like a crab's carapace. That's why they occasionally will push their insides out through their mouth. That releases into the water the things they can't digest. Food goes in and waste goes out through the same opening!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new