Rock flower anemones

Stuart Willis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Anyone keep or had rock flower anemones ?
I keep reading about them catching and eating any fish
Anyone had these problems ?
Just trying to decide should I pull the trigger and get a couple

Thanks

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 ...beautiful colorful additions too a reef ...they tend too move around less than other anamones ,never heard of them eating fish ...Ive heard carpet anamones do ...
20190103_140305.jpg

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can eat your fish as do the maxi-anemone they dont host like BTA. They are very nice to look at and most fish will steer clear of them but if you have perching fish and they hit the nem more than likely itll be the last time you see it.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can eat your fish as do the maxi-anemone they dont host like BTA. They are very nice to look at and most fish will steer clear of them but if you have perching fish and they hit the nem more than likely itll be the last time you see it.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them for some time now, and have not had any issues with any fish getting trapped by one. I have tried feeding them live fish (minnows) and I don't believe they have very sticky tentacles. I'll place a minnow into the outer edge so they give a feeding response, but 9/10 times they let go of their prey. So I stopped feeding live fish and went back to thawed frozen.

There is a trick to keeping them as well that works very well for having them stay where you want them. If you get small PVC plugs like these https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-8-sch-40-pvc-plug-mipt-450-003.html and place the nem in it and keep it in either an acclimation box, or sump for a couple days. The Nem will attach to the inside of the plug and then you can place it in the main tank where you want it. I have only had one nem crawl out but that was due to a small rock getting down in the pvc cap and irritated the nem so it moved out.

ReefClutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Anyone keep or had rock flower anemones ?
I keep reading about them catching and eating any fish
Anyone had these problems ?
Just trying to decide should I pull the trigger and get a couple

Thanks
We have a couple in our tank and haven’t had any issues other than our mandarin goby getting stuck on one for a prolonged period of time and causing severe damage. So with free swimming fish you should be fine. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish steal food from them when i target feed and dont batt an eye. They don't have a strong sting and any fish they eat was probably a dead or dying fish. I had a wrasse try to steal from a BTA and he went around scratching his head for a few minutes
... never tried that again.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back