Rock fusion: How do you connect your reef rocks?

How do you connect your reef rocks?

• Epoxy

Votes: 109 27.5%
  • Glue

Votes: 153 38.5%
  • Cement-style mix

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • Stack rocks without adhesive

Votes: 187 47.1%
  • Other

Votes: 31 7.8%

• Total voters

bobb498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great luck by laying a coat of super glue followed by a ball of epoxy and then more super glue. Push the pieces together and hold for just a few seconds; then spinkle some rock dust over the seam. Completely conceals the connection and holds great.

KBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this method, if your sand is coral sand it will work.

I use a mix of very fine powdered coral which I just crush with a hammer or get from drilling it. This one creates the best quickest bond, and i mix it with a bit of my coral sand and once in a while i add some little pieces of coral rubble to fill in gaps, structural and allow me to add the powder (so it doesn't just fall through).

Then just squirt the glue on it, hear the delicious sizzle, do a few more times around your piece depending on the weight of what you are gluing.
Awesome!! Thanks for the info!

Pacific North Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my first couple of tanks I went with stacked live rock. This build I decided to aquascape and while it looks pretty good, I am now re-thinking and gone more natural. I would still glue/epoxy the rocks for stability and the ability to lift everything out at once, but keep the rocks whole.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer to have most of mine loosely stacked to make them readily removable for cleaning algae and pests off as well as glueing corals outside of the tank.

I actually just ordered a bunch of Marco shelf rock for my next tank for that very reason because it’s easily stackable and I don’t really care what the aquascape looks like because once it’s covered with corals you don’t see it.

I think the whole aquascape thing came about as a way for fish stores to sell more products and it’s actually a detriment to your tank. I could see glueing an overhang or something—but these massive one piece aquascapes must be a pain in the butt during the ugly phase.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used epoxy. It works great but in hinfsite I wish that I didn't do it so permanent. IIt would have been easier to fight algae if I didn't

I sealed the top surfaces of my latest build with super-thin glue. It's a crazy idea, but the experiment has been positive 8-9 months in without any ill effects - especially with algae. I've not seen any growth since the start of the build and haven't seen anything taking hold.

Martin Turrubiates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you decided to build an aquascape in a new tank or maybe you are rescaping your current setup – how do you get the rocks to stick together? Do you stack them on top of each other and hope they stay? Maybe you have used some type of epoxy or glue? Please tell us how you have connected your reef rocks. Also, consider sharing tips and pictures in the discussion thread!

RickLRMS_Aquascape.jpeg

Photo by @RickLRMS
I usually take 1/8” acrylic rods that are cut to whatever length j need to join the rocks together that I need. I cut the rods by using simple wire cutters then drill holes into the rock with a slightly smaller concrete drill bit. Then push the rod into the rock then the next. This works for almost everything except the small pieces. For those I use gel glue to adhere them. For the base sections I usually use 2-3 rods so they are extremely stable. This allows me to remove sections of the scape when needed just in case I need to remove something later in time. I use to use marcco cement but now using this method it gives me the ability to remove whatever I want when I want to. Easier to lift out of the tank then a heavy joined section that cannot pull apart.

Attachments

• A0D24A3E-2557-4852-9E61-90F5C56EFF52.jpeg
    A0D24A3E-2557-4852-9E61-90F5C56EFF52.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1005.MOV
    32.1 MB

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some pretty elaborate and delicate scapes break on me in the past. So I usually go a little crazy with it and try to find points where two rocks I want to connect are flush, then I drill each so an acrylic rod can be tightly fitted between the two rocks connecting them, a tight fit can be enough but adding some reef glue to the connection holes can rigidify it, then using some cement style mix to cover the acrylic tube and connect the rock as you normally would.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used super glue and cigarette filters, sets like rock., put the rocks how you want them, fill the gaps where they join with filter and drop the superglue on to the filter...they never move.
Whoa! Now THAT’s thinking outside the box! The cigarette box, that is.

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to build my first Aquascape using AquaForests Stone Fix, 50lbs. of Fiji rock & 40lbs. of CaribSea Life rock. I have seen plenty of great results on YouTube so I'm hoping this will hold up without needing the additional BRS gel glue or accelerant. I guess there is only one way to find out! Lol

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know anyone else was using powdered rock with thin super glue. I have used baking soda for years and just tried powdered MarcoRock when making my scape.
I will say powdered rock works even better than baking soda.
40989F15-36BB-4997-AD23-DB55945908C1.jpeg
Good to know from one who’s tried both. Thank you! I’m just about to start building so, again, thank you!

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to try stacking rocks. Then I’d make a “tiny” change or try to do routine cleaning and find myself hours later tired, red-faced, with scratched hands and sometimes even arms wondering why I tried this maddeningly addictive hobby.

I just put together my new 25-gal with MarcoRocks I superglued together with sand and quickset. It’s been in the brute for seven months and in the tank now for about one.

Next is the 65-gal main tank. After reading this tonight I’m looking forward to doing the same but with Marco powder.

My Uncle Sam said he’s going to buy me a new stand, so it’s time to get the new, new scape going! Thanks for your help, everyone!

Attachments

• 8A464805-87EE-4E1A-A519-2D1D368EDD67.jpeg
    8A464805-87EE-4E1A-A519-2D1D368EDD67.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 21D5109E-37CF-4E62-B1C4-A9C15FB83DE1.jpeg
    21D5109E-37CF-4E62-B1C4-A9C15FB83DE1.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 48

StoneNeo82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use epoxy and super glue. So far my rocks are solid and holding. I have them in an arch. Used big rocks combined with smaller ones.

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know from one who’s tried both. Thank you! I’m just about to start building so, again, thank you!
As said before, make sure you have good ventilation and wear gloves. If you get superglue on your hands with rock dust it can burn. I wear a size up nitrile glove and can peak it off quick. Plus it seems like I’m always dripping glue down the side of the bottle and that way my glove sticks instead of my skin.
Have different sized rubble in tubs so you can fill up larger gaps to keep the powder where you want it.
8FD3F8F1-486E-465F-9DBA-0C7DE638E6A6.jpeg
Once you get your shape flip it over to do joints on the back side for extra strong bonds. Not necessary but I do it. The great thing is no waiting. I tried the mortar and it’s weaker and you have to wait until the next day.

cmor1701d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly balance, some epoxy and others I drilled a 1/4" hole through one rock into another and used acrylic rods to hold them together. I might have used epoxy on some, while others can be lifted off.

Attachments

• PXL_20230318_155843685.jpg
    PXL_20230318_155843685.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 46

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly I just make sure the rocks are stable when stacked, then I may put a blob of epoxy here and there. On occasion I have 'threaded' rocks over a PVC post if the tank look called for something that would otherwise be unstable. In most cases, I find the complex structures some folks choose to be unatural and unappealing anyhow :)

Fredda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you decided to build an aquascape in a new tank or maybe you are rescaping your current setup – how do you get the rocks to stick together? Do you stack them on top of each other and hope they stay? Maybe you have used some type of epoxy or glue? Please tell us how you have connected your reef rocks. Also, consider sharing tips and pictures in the discussion thread!

RickLRMS_Aquascape.jpeg

Photo by @RickLRMS
I use epoxy mostly. Had a strange experience last time though. I made my aquascape with D-D construction epoxy and marcorocks. Then i let i dry. After 2 weeks or so I started to precycle the aquascape in a bin. When it was ready after about a month in heated salty water with circulation, I was going nto pick it up and put it into tank. But when I picked it up the aquascape fell apart in the joints. When i felt the epoxy it was soft and was almost like it had never dried at all.
Had to but new epoxy in the joints and have it set under water in tank. Dunno why it failed first time. Now the tank been running for 6 months and the scape is holding together fine.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back