Rock Nem Split!!

Have you had a rock flower anemone split in your tank?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I don’t even have any rock nems

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize flower rock anemones would split! Imagine my surprise when the tank lights came on today and I was doing my usual head count - whoa!

I’ve only had this nem a few weeks - it was part of my @AquaSD live sale haul...it’s been in the same place since I put it in the tank.

Yesterday I spent a good amount of time fooling with the tank - water change, regular maintenance, repositioning of a few corals. Also (finally) set up my dosing unit I got for Christmas 2 years ago but have been to chicken to use until now.

So - did the nem split because fooling around in the tank so much yesterday stressed it?? Or it just got bored overnight?

Anxious to hear other’s thoughts and experiences!!

087055C2-E1F2-44C6-9D2B-0B9CF0E31316.jpeg

6B68C6D7-EA25-4612-A5A1-DEFEDCDF4F8D.jpeg

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon closer inspection, it looks like it could be squeezed through a small hole in the rock giving the appreance of two nems.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe PDR is right on the money on both counts.

As I read the original post I was thinking, is there any chance the smaller one was stuck on the underside of the bigger one when you got it? Because it's to big to be a new baby and I'm 98% sure RFAs don't split and 100% sure you can't cut them in half like you can a RBTA.

But then I read PRD's 2 post and I believe that is your answer.

To the OP: that's a pretty tricky nem you have there! ;Wideyed

Hi Katrina.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness I feel like a real dodo *blushing* lol! I can’t believe I spent so much time in front of the tank yesterday and couldn’t see this for what it was! I may need to get my glasses checked ;Watching lol.

Sure enough when I got home from work today he’s mostly squeezed through the hole and there’s just a small bit remaining on the left side now. Would’ve been easier to go around the hole than through it but what do I know I’m just a silly human :rolleyes:.

Thanks for helping me see this clearly guys!! :D

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! But they dont split. They reproduce.

ReefHunter07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1B8191A5-E07B-46DE-B83A-6E1F852B2AB3.jpeg

Ok so to revive this thread…….. mine split today. Its two mouths……. Didn’t know this happened. Heck even the dealer I got them from is shocked. They both ate tonight…… it was one this morning and two this evening.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok so to revive this thread…….. mine split today. Its two mouths……. Didn’t know this happened. Heck even the dealer I got them from is shocked. They both ate tonight…… it was one this morning and two this evening.
I literally will not be able to sleep tonight. WHAT IS HAPPENING

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this is an old thread but I’m literally here because I have one that looks like it’s about to split and I’m so confused cause I’ve had them reproduce but never split! Haha guess it’s possible but rare

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back