Rock work fell!

FTLTim954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing a little work done on my tank, dipping corals to be exact. Pretty much all my rock work fell and had a ton of sediment through the tank. Is there anything I should do to help the fish with stress and help the tank overall after the collapse? Thanks!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your system design. Can you give us some input? If you have a sump and filter socks just keep changing the socks every couple of hours. Also if there is a way to introduce more O2 to the water column like a powerhead with an air venturi on the intake, I would do that also. Other than that, let it ride...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep changing out the floss.

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above on changing floss. also take readings. keep close eye on everything.

have you accounted for all livestock?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was doing a little work done on my tank, dipping corals to be exact. Pretty much all my rock work fell and had a ton of sediment through the tank. Is there anything I should do to help the fish with stress and help the tank overall after the collapse? Thanks!
check out how to make a water polisher with a pop bottle and a pump (maxi jet, etc) powerhead. its simple and it will help clear the debris - which is not a bad idea - but if you do nothing its fine too

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the SAME exact thing happen, except I had rods and cement glueing together the rocks.

It doesn't matter if you glue them or not it seems. I had Marco cement, aquaforest glue...and fiberglass rods.

Basically all mine split right in half or into 3 million little pieces. My entire scape has been turned into fragments and rubble.

There were no weaknesses in the glue or anchor points just the rocks themselves.

Drilling compromised mine waaaaaay too much.

When you submerge the rock, there's constant hydrostatic pressure on the rock, and the glue holding them together. It's a matter of time before any method fails really.

So unless you're gluing a ton of small rocks together into a large one, I'd not recommend drilling or cement.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back