Rocks touching back glass or not?

Jakewatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Quick question: I'm about to start a layout and my initial thought was to make sure the rocks never touched the glass, and the back too, for maintenance reasons. Concerning the back glass panel, I also prefer black clean looking glass as opposed to completely coraline-invaded background (that's personal esthetic taste).

What do you guys think? Is it easier to have the rocks rest on the back panel & overflow? Are there any pros/cons I haven't thought about?

Concerning coraline growth on the back panel, what have you chosen? Is it beneficial for the ecosystem or is it just esthetics that govern the decision?

Thanks a lot!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have the rocks touch the back glass...more for continuous water flow behind the rock rather than keeping the back glass clean (a lot of people don't clean the back glass at all). I have always kept all four glass panels clean...I don't like the looks of coraline at all. I don't think there is any benefits to growing it.......the downside is that it consumes calcium and alk.

OP
OP
Jakewatt

Jakewatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waters, thanx a lot for your answer! That question's been naggin' me for the last couple days! I really like coraline on the rocks (and whiskey...), but on the back, it just looks dirty and unmanned ;)

Have you used eggcrate? Another issue I'm a bit confused with....

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean....anything on the glass makes the tank look dirty IMO (even if it isn't). I did use eggcrate underneath my rock, but I kind of regretting using it now. It is supposed to keep the rock more stable and prevent any damage to the bottom of the tank (in the event that a fish digs beneath the rock or the rock tumbles). I don't have a deep sand bed so there are times that the eggcrate is exposed which drives me crazy lol.

OP
OP
Jakewatt

Jakewatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean....anything on the glass makes the tank look dirty IMO (even if it isn't). I did use eggcrate underneath my rock, but I kind of regretting using it now. It is supposed to keep the rock more stable and prevent any damage to the bottom of the tank (in the event that a fish digs beneath the rock or the rock tumbles). I don't have a deep sand bed so there are times that the eggcrate is exposed which drives me crazy lol.
You could maybe add a bit more sand?... is this something you can do without disturbing water parameters too much?...

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I could (without disturbing the parameters) but I would have to add quite a bit...I have several wrasses and a starfish that like to dig and move the sand around. I have always kept the sand bed less than an inch for maintenance reasons.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have the rocks touch the back glass...more for continuous water flow behind the rock rather than keeping the back glass clean (a lot of people don't clean the back glass at all). I have always kept all four glass panels clean...I don't like the looks of coraline at all. I don't think there is any benefits to growing it.......the downside is that it consumes calcium and alk.

^this exactly

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple pieces touching the back glass. I wish I hadn't laid it out that way now. More for flow reasons than anything. But I have a huge colony of frogspawn that covers that entire back glass section between my overflows. The colony is attached to the rock in question. So I'm not sure how much flow would reach that far back section anyway?
I personally like the look of coraline, especially in the overflows. So I don't have the need to clean the back glass in my instance...

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 25 gal cube, I have a rock "wall" that I built from pieces fit together and an overhang. All the pieces are free standing but theres about an inch between the rock and the glass back, not enough to scrape or clean though. I use two separate powerheads that are hidden in (and behind) the rocks to blow water from the back to the front and collide at a certain point. It actually makes for great sps flow at the top of one of my overhangs :) but having the powerheads back there allows detritus not to build up :)

OP
OP
Jakewatt

Jakewatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 25 gal cube, I have a rock "wall" that I built from pieces fit together and an overhang. All the pieces are free standing but theres about an inch between the rock and the glass back, not enough to scrape or clean though. I use two separate powerheads that are hidden in (and behind) the rocks to blow water from the back to the front and collide at a certain point. It actually makes for great sps flow at the top of one of my overhangs :) but having the powerheads back there allows detritus not to build up :)
Do you have pictures of your tank by any chance? ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just rock-scraped my 120 upgrade. Both islands are free-standing with plenty of 360 space for flow, cleaning, and coral growth [emoji12]
9fcc4906e19fde3fd5981ba52ed53f6e.jpg

dfc5cddd532da64b09514be59f810e38.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have alway used the back glass is a support for the rock structure, With all the changes in product that can glue the rock in place in my next system I an going for the floating island effect. I now use a flipper nano with the blade to clean the glass is the tight spots. ;)

OP
OP
Jakewatt

Jakewatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just rock-scraped my 120 upgrade. Both islands are free-standing with plenty of 360 space for flow, cleaning, and coral growth [emoji12]
9fcc4906e19fde3fd5981ba52ed53f6e.jpg

dfc5cddd532da64b09514be59f810e38.jpg
Nice ;) I'll certainly be doing something like that, but also use eggcrate underneath the rocks, and hide the visible eggcrate with small live rocks nicely arranged in front, directly on bottom glass... a bit of every world - reefing & iwugami style ;)

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consumes a lot of mag as well.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures of your tank by any chance? ;)
The yellow are powerheads and a return.
The return pushes water to the toadstool and the two powerheads blow towards each other to move water from back to front. It also blows quite a bit on the platform to give the sps flow.
As you can see, the powerheads are hidden and the rock is all the way against the false wall for the all in one sump.
IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1539.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back