Rockscape opinions for a FOWLR

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the weather getting colder, and the garage as well, I moved in the RSR 450 my friend gave me, that was in storage, into the house. I made the rockscape for a FOLWR tank and wanted some opinions on if I need to modify anything or take into consideration before adding water.

My other tank in mixed reef and I wanted something less maintenance intensive (at least for now). It will have a sand bed (my other rank is BB). Any and all thoughts appreciate!

IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_7225.jpeg

IMG_7235.jpeg

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great to me, do you have any specific fish you’re planning on that may have more specific requirements. Looks like you have plenty of hiding spaces and still room to swim. Are your rocks all secure somehow to prevent toppling ?

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great to me, do you have any specific fish you’re planning on that may have more specific requirements. Looks like you have plenty of hiding spaces and still room to swim. Are your rocks all secure somehow to prevent toppling ?
I used e-Marco cement then added superglue once it dried. Regarding the fish I’m hoping for:
-powder blue tang
-Yellow Tang
-several wrasses (now that I’ll have a tank with sand)
-coral beauty
-a pair of Percula’s

I’m more of a softie coral reefer so fish have always been an after thought till now. Thoughts?

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re on the right track! Powders can be a really difficult and aggressive fish, so that would be my last addition. I would add that last and only after the tank is well matured, even then it may outgrow the tank, so start with a small fat one haha.
That’s a pretty mellow fish population, are you planning on inverts? There’s a ton of non- Reef safe/ with caution angels that would be great options too: lemonpeel, rock beauty, multi bar (difficult to keep), you could even start with a juvenile Pomacanthus like an emperor and watch the transition which it super cool, tho will need to be rehomed once it gets bigger.
Since you’ll have a sand bed and no corals to worry about, I love watching all the sand movers; jawfish and sand sifter gobies in particular.
Midas blennies and Marine Bettas are other personal favorites, as well as hawkfish. The long nose has such a cool personality! (And still safe with most inverts).
With this fish population you could still theoretically grow some easy softies like paly or GSP if you wanted some movement.

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great s
Sounds like you’re on the right track! Powders can be a really difficult and aggressive fish, so that would be my last addition. I would add that last and only after the tank is well matured, even then it may outgrow the tank, so start with a small fat one haha.
That’s a pretty mellow fish population, are you planning on inverts? There’s a ton of non- Reef safe/ with caution angels that would be great options too: lemonpeel, rock beauty, multi bar (difficult to keep), you could even start with a juvenile Pomacanthus like an emperor and watch the transition which it super cool, tho will need to be rehomed once it gets bigger.
Since you’ll have a sand bed and no corals to worry about, I love watching all the sand movers; jawfish and sand sifter gobies in particular.
Midas blennies and Marine Bettas are other personal favorites, as well as hawkfish. The long nose has such a cool personality! (And still safe with most inverts).
With this fish population you could still theoretically grow some easy softies like paly or GSP if you wanted some movement.
Great SUGGESTIONS!! Sand sifters would be great once the sand gets well established. I know I say FOWLR now but I’m sure some wavy coral is going to make its way in there! My other tank is crawling with GSP…
IMG_7188.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back