RoDI and chloramine

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get good carbon blocks. I like to run a 1 micron in front of a 0.5 micron block. My water supply is currently not using clorimines but that could change any time without notice. I change the first carbon every 2000 gallons.

OP
OP
314reefer

314reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon block filter before the RO membrane is there specifically to remove chloramines as chloramines can damage the membrane. If you know you have chloramines in your water supply, you might want to consider a filter with two carbon blocks.
So I don’t need a special chloramine cartridge?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the tests I had a bunch of reefers do, most ro/di removed chloramine. Don’t assume any given ro/di does not unless you measure the effluent to see. Any cheap chlorine kit will serve.

Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium - Reefkeeping.com

Lessons Learned and Suggestions:

Most RO/DI systems seem capable of removing chloramine adequately for aquarists.
The carbon cartridge may become less useful over time, and it is possible that the chloramine removal effectiveness of a system may be lost before the DI appears to need changing.
Cheap sediment cartridges may expose the carbon cartridge to unnecessary fouling, which may permit chloramine to pass through the system. Cartridges should be replaced as soon as the pressure drops significantly, even if RO/DI water is still being produced at a reasonable rate or purity as measured by total dissolved solids.
Testing for chlorine and chloramine is easy, so any concern is easily reconciled.
One Hach kit provides several dozen test results. Our local Boston Club bought some kits and had a "water testing day." The kits can also become part of the "library" of a local club for aquarists to use once in a while to see if their systems are functioning. That way, the cost to each aquarist is minimal.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’m not sure if we have it but I’m sure I do as I live in st.louis city
Their water report says they do. You can go with a chloramine specific cartridge but I would do as others state and just go with 2 carbon blocks. Just depends on how paranoid you are. Either setup is going to be 2 cartridges. Even if you do have them and it gets past the carbon block, I believe the DI will take care of it. If not, a few drops of Prime will do the job.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back