RODI and Filter Recommendations

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new RODI and would like to know what you might recommend with this criteria:
  • Quality built product
  • Outstanding customer service
  • Proper filter for source water containing chloramines
  • Produce RO water as quick as possible
  • Minimum waste if possible, but not a must
Looking forward to hearing what your opinions are. Thanks.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought me a BRS 5 stage and am very happy. Simple and sturdy construction, easy to change filters. This particular unit I have is rated for 75 gallons per day. They also offer a water saver version as well.

Filter comes with all the hardware incase you need to screw it right on to the faucet, a splitter attachment and if you want you can easily hardline it.

Best of luck!!!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get this one from BRS. You can get it from 75gpd up to 200gpd with a water saving option.

Then I would replace the first carbon filter with this on for the chloromines. This will last ~2,000 - 3,000 gallons depending on how much is in your water.

Alternatively, you can get this filter and run it inline before your RODI systemand will last up to 75,000 gallons.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you had issues with your BRS unit. I would suggest a Spectrapure alternative. I use a customized RO buddie with sediment and carbon prefilters along with two DI stages. Works well for my needs, but I've heard good things about Spectrapure.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure makes great and reliable units. I have the 5 stage unit and couldn't be happier. I suggest you test you TDS first to ensure you get the right sized unit.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought me a BRS 5 stage and am very happy. Simple and sturdy construction, easy to change filters. This particular unit I have is rated for 75 gallons per day. They also offer a water saver version as well.

Filter comes with all the hardware incase you need to screw it right on to the faucet, a splitter attachment and if you want you can easily hardline it.

Best of luck!!!

I would get this one from BRS. You can get it from 75gpd up to 200gpd with a water saving option.

Unfortunately, BRS is not going to be an option for me due to some issues I've experienced with their products and to put it politely, I believe it could be possible that I have not been given accurate information and assistance from the staff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you had issues with your BRS unit. I would suggest a Spectrapure alternative. I use a customized RO buddie with sediment and carbon prefilters along with two DI stages. Works well for my needs, but I've heard good things about Spectrapure.
Spectrapure makes great and reliable units. I have the 5 stage unit and couldn't be happier. I suggest you test you TDS first to ensure you get the right sized unit.

Spectrapure is one that I've heard good things about and am currently considering. Any opinions or experience with Spectrapure's customer service? Thanks

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure is one that I've heard good things about and am currently considering. Any opinions or experience with Spectrapure's customer service? Thanks

I've spoken with Spectrapure numerous times, never about issues as I haven't had an issue with my unit and they were always responsive and helpful. I too recommend Spectrapure and as if right now Marine depot has them on sale right now 15% off.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since BRS is out you can make your own unit if you are handy. All the parts are not hard to find. You just need to deturmin how many canisters you want / need. Booster pump or not. Flush valve. Pressure gauge and TDS sensors. GPD for membrane and restrictor.
Most places use all the same parts. For canisters i like the Pentek clear ones. I use them on my whole house system. 5" x 20" ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spoken with Spectrapure numerous times, never about issues as I haven't had an issue with my unit and they were always responsive and helpful. I too recommend Spectrapure and as if right now Marine depot has them on sale right now 15% off.

Thanks for the heads up! Would you happen to know if Marine Depot is a reputable good source to buy from?

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since BRS is out you can make your own unit if you are handy. All the parts are not hard to find. You just need to deturmin how many canisters you want / need. Booster pump or not. Flush valve. Pressure gauge and TDS sensors. GPD for membrane and restrictor.

Definitely something to consider. I'll have to do some price comparisons on parts and preassembled units to see which is the better route for me.

Is it correct that any brand filter or membrane can be used in a housing from another manufacturer?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up! Would you happen to know if Marine Depot is a reputable good source to buy from?

Marine Depot is similar to BRS, I've only ordered from them a couple times but no issues there. Also worth mentioning I'm sure Spectrapure will have Black Friday sales as well, possibly more than what Marine Depot has them on for. However, if you're ordering directly from Spectrapure, you do have to pay shipping. Marine Depot has free shipping on most RODI units I believe. Worth exploring all your options :)

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it correct that any brand filter or membrane can be used in a housing from another manufacturer?

This is correct. As long as the sizing is the same, you can get larger sized filters with larger housings as mentioned above. But All the standard stuff is pretty interchangeable

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had to call them.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot is similar to BRS, I've only ordered from them a couple times but no issues there. Also worth mentioning I'm sure Spectrapure will have Black Friday sales as well, possibly more than what Marine Depot has them on for. However, if you're ordering directly from Spectrapure, you do have to pay shipping. Marine Depot has free shipping on most RODI units I believe. Worth exploring all your options :)

Thanks. I'll have to check out Spectrapure's shipping charges.

OP
OP
T

TunnelRatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. As long as the sizing is the same, you can get larger sized filters with larger housings as mentioned above. But All the standard stuff is pretty interchangeable

Thanks again

Back