RODI booster pump issues. Pressure Gauge going nuts!

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just installed a uses aquatec 8800 booster pump on to my aquafx 100gph RODI unit.

I installed it before the asov.

My water pressure going in is about 35psi.

When the pump turns on my pressure gauge vibrates and wigs out. I can barely get a reading it shakes so violently.

Is this normal?

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure this will make a difference but it is supposed to be installed between the carbon block outlet and the membrane inlet. After you move it there is a very small allen screw adjuster in the top unit that you can use to adjust pressure with. Be very careful with this screw, clockwise will raise pressure, counterclockwise lower. If you turn it too far in either direction you can damage the unit, so this is the last resort after it is working great, but still lacks a little pressure.

I think you should move it to the proper location and see what happens. Let us know the result. HTH

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's already in the position. It's after the block before the asov.

I was told by a fellow reefer before this happened that the cheap pressure gauges are finniky as opposed to the fluid filled gauges.

I still don't feel as of the vibrating Needle should be so dramatic.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and turned my system on to see if it bounced - and it does a little, like 1/4 of the movement you are seeing. You cold try turning up the pressure and see if it starts to even out some. Those pumps are very small displacement, and rely on a system of valves inside to keep the flow going in one direction, and to create pressure. you should not have to turn it far to get a result.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesnt look like a fluid filled gauge. my assumption is that it is a cheap gauge. Some bounce is normal, vibration will cause cheaper gauges to bounce a lot more. Still it looks like youre running between 40-50psi

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BBoley24 did you manage to solve your problem? I just installed an 8800 and it's hammering like that as well, shaking the hell out of the output line heh. Feel like something's not working correctly..

* Note, my carbon filter must have been toast and pretty plugged, now it's down to a slight vibration when heading into the RO after changing that filter. Flow is night and day post-filter change, might be worth checking if you never solved it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It still wigs out. My filters are new but I'm due up for a membrane. Most of the noise is from the gauge itself.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still wigs out. My filters are new but I'm due up for a membrane. Most of the noise is from the gauge itself.
Mine tempered to about 10% of what it was, still a bit of vibration coming across. The restriction from the two membranes is what's causing it now, as if they're removed in-line it goes 100% silent but still maintains the pressure. Any way, hope yours clears up somehow!

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the same thing in my cheap gauge. That's just the way a diaphram pump works, the gauge is accurately showing you what the pressure is doing in the line.
Want it averaged so you can read it easier? Get a fluid filled (glycerin) gauge.

Mine clacked so much I took it out after I checked the pressures. It's on the output side now, so I know how much pressure is in my pressure tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back