Rodi bud die help

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i got myself an rodi buddie and noticed the amount of waste water is crazy
Did some YouTube videos saw people add an extra membrane to drop waste water can i just order another membrane and add the tubing or do i need to do some custom work / pumps / crazy expenses any ideas?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on your incoming TDS. If its high forget it, because your sending higher TDS to your second membrane, and your output my be so high in TDS it will cost you a fortune. On a second not make sure you have a restrictor in your output.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on your incoming TDS. If its high forget it, because your sending higher TDS to your second membrane, and your output my be so high in TDS it will cost you a fortune. On a second not make sure you have a restrictor in your output.
No way of making it less waste?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything depends on what your TDS currently is. If your TDS is low you can run 3 membranes like I do. If you have high TDS you want one. You can play with different restrictors to tune your system for less waste, but again your DI media usage is the goal here, maximizing cost per gallons produced.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything depends on what your TDS currently is. If your TDS is low you can run 3 membranes like I do. If you have high TDS you want one. You can play with different restrictors to tune your system for less waste, but again your DI media usage is the goal here, maximizing cost per gallons produced.
How do i test TDS

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every Ro/DI station should have one. the dual sensors are best ad should be 20-30 bucks on ebay. You have one inline measuring incoming TDS then you have one after your membrane to measure output. You want 0 coming out of membrane, but many have high TDS and have higher numbers which will eat up your DI resin in short order. I also check my output no and then yo ensure its making 0 water

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a future favor and buy a nicer RODI unit. Get the whole package with pressure gauge, in-line tds meters (pens fail and caused me several coral deaths). I started with an RO buddie but you will quickly realized its not meant for reef tanks. Upgrading the membrane and flow restrictor can help but given you have to replace the carbon faster means more $$ long term. Just buy a real unit with standard canister sizes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back