RODI Fail of the week

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this forum is about learning, I figured I would share my completely avoidable fail. A few weeks ago I moved my RODI system to another part of my garage. Felt it was time to clean up some tubing and make it easier to change filters. I made a very big mistake. Hopefully, nobody else does this.

Quick background on my setup so you understand the impact of my mistake.

In my garage, I have my RODI set up next to my DOS that is used for auto water changes. My tank is on the opposite side of my house as-is my two 50 Gal storage barrels. I don't have room in my garage for them and before the DOS I could easily run a pump from the barrels to my tank for manual water changes. So my RODI line runs out the garage wall through conduit to my storage barrels. It has a "T" connection that also through the wall in my house to my ATO storage. Yes, I have float valves and an APEX-controlled solenoid to prevent overfilling.

Anyhow, I decided to mount the RODI system on the wall near the conduit so it was off the floor and out from under the sink.
hooked everything back up and turned on the solenoid to make sure water was flowing. "All done easy day"

What I failed to do is check that I actually hooked up the RO lines correctly. Guess what? I put them backwards and the waste line was feeding my system. I noticed a bloom in Cyano a few days ago which seemed odd since my last parameter check a couple of weeks ago was great. Running through some things in my head I realized my RODI filters were getting pretty old maybe that could be part of the issue. The last TDS check on the system was a few months ago and was putting out water around 5 PPM. Checked the meters and sure enough, I was around 100 PPM. Did a filter change reading went down to 1ppm all done. Did a quick check to see what my holding bin was at since it got refilled recently and wow TDS was over 300. How could that be??? Yep dumping all my wastewater from the RODI system into my ATO, RO storage, and AWC bins. Good thing this was only going on for a few weeks

Please make sure you take your time when disconnecting and reconnecting equipment. Verify you put things back right before you regret it.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch... I had a similar issue with my RODI in the past. I believed the TDS meter was working as expected. I was wrong. I fought extremely high levels of phosphates for months and was not making headway. I'd get the PO4 down and it would jump back up off the scale. Long story short, I tested the RODI... yup, the TDS meter was lying and I was pumping bad water in every time the ATO kicked in. I now have 2 TDS meters on the RODI as a safety precaution and keep spares on the shelf here.

Check your work people! Also check that your equipment is operating properly.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also reassembled my system incorrectly. I think I had the tap water go to the RO membrane first then the carbon blocks...

Back