RODI install

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to COVID, I had to bring home my livestock from my classroom nano tank which made me get my 80g set up and running. Looking at connecting an RODI to make water changes and topoff on bigger tank easier. Laundry room is upstairs and on other side of house from the tank which is in a 3rd car garage. I was thinking of connecting it to my water heater in the main garage. Any issues with doing this? Is it as easy as putting an adapter in place of the end cap and opening blue valve in photo below?

MVIMG_20200403_151123.jpg

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to COVID, I had to bring home my livestock from my classroom nano tank which made me get my 80g set up and running. Looking at connecting an RODI to make water changes and topoff on bigger tank easier. Laundry room is upstairs and on other side of house from the tank which is in a 3rd car garage. I was thinking of connecting it to my water heater in the main garage. Any issues with doing this? Is it as easy as putting an adapter in place of the end cap and opening blue valve in photo below?

MVIMG_20200403_151123.jpg
PLUMBER HERE that looks like a tankless water heater
That port is used for servicing, draining, and de scaling. You need to tap into the cold water line ahead of the water heater and it’s fittings . I hate to suggest a saddle valve but... maybe in your situation it will be your easiest solution

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLUMBER HERE that looks like a tankless water heater
That port is used for servicing, draining, and de scaling. You need to tap into the cold water line ahead of the water heater and it’s fittings . I hate to suggest a saddle valve but... maybe in your situation it will be your easiest solution
You are correct. It is a tankless water heater. Are you saying I would need to tap in to the pipe covered in foam? Is that difficult? It almost looks like I could just unscrew that and put a t-fitting or a fitting I need on there? However, I am not a plumber. Is that why you are suggesting a saddle valve? What does that look like and why do I hear the hesitancy in that suggestion?

I've attached some more photos. Top and bottom flex pipe and fittings inside foam.

IMG_20200403_220028.jpg IMG_20200403_220634.jpg IMG_20200403_220606.jpg

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, where do you live?
I’ve never seen that type of piping used for a water line.
That seriously looks like a flexible natural connector.
The foam is just insulation.
Any copper piping to tap into?
Google saddle valve
You could go with a tee but you will need a few fittings,reducers an adapters to get from garden hose to 1/4” compression

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, where do you live?
I’ve never seen that type of piping used for a water line.
That seriously looks like a flexible natural connector.
The foam is just insulation.
Any copper piping to tap into?
Google saddle valve
You could go with a tee but you will need a few fittings,reducers an adapters to get from garden hose to 1/4” compression
San Diego. Home is only 5 years old, but I think they cut corners to build the community faster.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back