RODI Issues and Restart Advice

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice here as I had cycled my 140G (180.5 Waterbox) display tank and decided to do an ICP test before adding livestock and found Iron and Manganese in the tank water. I then decided to do an ICP on just the saltwater bin from my mixing station and basically found the same results, so the issue is with the water prior to hitting the tank. Results on the water from the SW mixing bin were:

MN (Manganese) 173 where 0-3 is the normal range
FE (Iron) 20 where 0 is the normal range
All other parameters were in the Green (normal) range

Here's the background and details:

All equipment started brand new out of the box
I setup a mixing station in my laundry room with 2x 45 Gallon Norwesco tanks.
1 BRS 6 Stage RODI Unit, 200 Gallons Per Day (although only produces about 5 gallons per hour)
Tropic Marin Reef Pro Salt Mix

Of note, I thought the pressure gauge was not working from the start. It never got above 5 PSI. While the pressure isn't amazing in my house, its definitely more than this. We are on Austin, TX city water. The pressure gauge wouldn't change whether I was flushing the system or not.

I would flush the system for a few mins prior to making any water. Also the Output side of the TDS meter has always read 0 and I check it each time.

Given the size of my tank and replacing evaporation water and water changes I did after cycling (to remove nitrates) and then again after the initial ICP test, my guess is I've only produced somewhere in the 400-500 gallon range.

We just had 3 days without power, in the middle of which I get this last ICP test back, and I hadn't yet purchased a generator so the tank has just sat cold. Given the parameters and outage, I obviously need to drain everything and start with new water, re-cycle the tank (it was a dry rock cycle), etc.

What steps should I take here with the RODI system? I do have replacement filters/media for each section of it. Should I replace all, and then potentially add an RODI booster to increase pressure? Then run some water and do another ICP test? Other thoughts here? I know BRS sells a 7 stage RODI, but not sure if that is a solution either.

Please see pic of the DI Resin sides. That orange band on the DI Resin 1 has been there about a month, but hasn't grown or moved. Sorry I've been out of reefing for about 20 years and getting back in so am not exactly sure how this should be going, but I thought the orange band would expand as that Resin was being depleted, but doesn't really seem to have happened.
Anyways, just trying to include as many details as I can think of to help troubleshoot the source/problem here.
IMG_7493.jpg
image2.jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg

Thanks in advance.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon should remove some of the Iron and Manganese.
Iron and manganese is also removed by sediment filters and cation resin.
Plants will also use a lot of these 2 and corals will use it too.
I would get a new gauge and pressure pump if in fact you have low water pressure.
The filters look great no need to change them.

If your rodi is really putting out "0" tds then it prob the salt mix.
I would use the water in the tank. Cold prob had little effect on it. Bacteria are still alive and well on and in the rocks.

Glad to see your whole system didnt freeze up.

OP
OP
A

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have one remaining ICP test and I think I will use it on the pure FW tank from the RODI...can at least rule-in/out that salt variable. I fired everything back up....still unclear though on those levels of Iron/MN and how detrimental that will be to livestock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back