RODI not removing ammonia

Hawaireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason our tap water has ammonia in it. However, my RODI system doesn't seem to be removing it, even after I've replaced and flushed out the filter. I know the test kit is working because I tested another water source, and there is no Ammonia. I've been using prime to detoxify it (btw can anyone confirm that prime actually detoxifies ammonia?), but I want to not have to worry about it anymore. Does anyone know why the RODI is not removing the ammonia, or what I can do to remove it?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason our tap water has ammonia in it. However, my RODI system doesn't seem to be removing it, even after I've replaced and flushed out the filter. I know the test kit is working because I tested another water source, and there is no Ammonia. I've been using prime to detoxify it (btw can anyone confirm that prime actually detoxifies ammonia?), but I want to not have to worry about it anymore. Does anyone know why the RODI is not removing the ammonia, or what I can do to remove it?
Are you running a dual DI (6 stage) RODI?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quality carbon block should do the trick, check BRS, I forget which brand I use, I have a 4 stage.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is probably disinfected with chloramine (chlorine plus ammonia), which usually requires more than a typical 4 stage RODI.

As for whether or not PRIME detoxifies ammonia, and there seems to be some evidence it does not, even if it does, it only converts it to ammonium for 24 hours or so, and then the ammonia becomes toxic again.

I would not rely on PRIME or any similar product to remove ammonia permanently from the water.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my RO removes ~90% of ammonia but I need to run it through subsequent DI stages to get ~100% removal.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon does not remove ammonia.
RO does not remove ammonia.
DI does.
How old are they? Perhaps you need the cation/anion/mixed bed setup to help remove it all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The di is what mostly removes ammonia. Is the effluent 0 ppm tds?

When a di first depletes, the effluent can have even high ammonia than the incoming water as it is easily displaced from the di resin by more tightly bound ions such as sodium or calcium.

OP
OP
Hawaireefer

Hawaireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The di is what mostly removes ammonia. Is the effluent 0 ppm tds?

When a di first depletes, the effluent can have even high ammonia than the incoming water as it is easily displaced from the di resin by more tightly bound ions such as sodium or calcium.
The DI filter is new, only about a month or two old.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “ammonia” might be chloramine, another disinfected used in drinking water. It might be making its way through your RO system. I thought activated carbon might but I am unsure.

OP
OP
Hawaireefer

Hawaireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO does not remove ammonia.
DI does.
How old are they? Perhaps you need the cation/anion/mixed bed setup to help remove it all.
I already have a mixed bed. I watched the video, and it says that by putting it though the cation first, it drops the ph, so the ammonia gas is then transformed to ammonium which can be removed. But why do you need a separate stage if the mixed bed already has both? Shouldn't the cation throughout the whole filter be lowering the ph throughout the canister, and also removing it as it goes through? Why is to separate stages more effective then one with both resins?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a mixed bed. I watched the video, and it says that by putting it though the cation first, it drops the ph, so the ammonia gas is then transformed to ammonium which can be removed. But why do you need a separate stage if the mixed bed already has both? Shouldn't the cation throughout the whole filter be lowering the ph throughout the canister, and also removing it as it goes through? Why is to separate stages more effective then one with both resins?
The video explains that it gets "charged" going thru separately. I'm not sure of the machnics. But also if only going thru a mixed bed and nothing else it also removes 100%. Again, not sure of the mechanics.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about the ph. The cation resin lowers the ph which removes the ammonia. The mixed bed does not lower the ph of the water, and does not remove all the ammonia. This is all info per the video, and not my statement. @Randy Holmes-Farley may be able to confirm or refute the videos claims.

OP
OP
Hawaireefer

Hawaireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about the ph. The cation resin lowers the ph which removes the ammonia. The mixed bed does not lower the ph of the water, and does not remove all the ammonia. This is all info per the video, and not my statement. @Randy Holmes-Farley may be able to confirm or refute the videos claims.
Ok but doesn't the mixed bed have cation resin in it? Why wouldn't that lower the Ph?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropping bimbs here....

Once upon a time i was told that chloramine evaporate from water quickly, that was always method of preparing fw water, just leave it in open vessel for few hours = no chlorine in water......

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back