RODI Question

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently purchased a used 7 stage RODI unit. It was set up as a 5 stage with a sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, RO membrane, and a DI filter that runs horizontal.

As I'm aware the horizontal DI is not as efficient as a vertical one. So can I just replace 1 of the carbon filters with a vertical DI filter?

For example, the water would go through the sediment first, then carbon, then vertical DI, RO membrane, and then horizontal DI, then out to my bucket.

I live in Vancouver and the water is pretty clean here with a tap of 13 tds

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 TDS!? Mine runs closer to 350 to 400. Would it be possible to remount the DI resin canister to sit vertically? I can't imagine that you would need 2 DI canisters with source water that pure. Can you get a picture?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it seems like you might exhaust your first DI resin prematurely by having the water flow though it before the RO membrane. I could be completely wrong though.

OP
OP
D

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 TDS!? Mine runs closer to 350 to 400. Would it be possible to remount the DI resin canister to sit vertically? I can't imagine that you would need 2 DI canisters with source water that pure. Can you get a picture?

Would not be able to remount the DI to vertical as the sizing is different.

Yea Vancouver probably has one of the cleanest water.

I've attached a picture so it pretty much runs through 1-4

1 = sediment
2 and 3 = carbon
4 = ro membrane
5= horizontal di

Was thinking if I could switch the 3rd carbon to a vertical DI.

Inked20200223_220651_LI.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like with a little rerouting of your plumbing, you should be able to convert the 3rd canister to DI resin and connect it after the RO membrane. That way you could have your 2 DI canisters running back to back, or just do away with the horizontal canister altogether. To be honest, it looks to me like the color change in your DI resin is going from in to out pretty much like any other unit. With as low as your source water TDS is anyway, it may not be worth the effort. I'm sure you will get a more experienced opinion soon.

OP
OP
D

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like with a little rerouting of your plumbing, you should be able to convert the 3rd canister to DI resin and connect it after the RO membrane. That way you could have your 2 DI canisters running back to back, or just do away with the horizontal canister altogether. To be honest, it looks to me like the color change in your DI resin is going from in to out pretty much like any other unit. With as low as your source water TDS is anyway, it may not be worth the effort. I'm sure you will get a more experienced opinion soon.

Thanks for your feedback! And yea I agree with the TDS already being so low it might not be worth the effort.

It's because I read a lot of reefer's reviews that horizontal DIs are not the best which got me thinking of re routing my RODI unit.

May just stick with the the original setup of a sediment, 2 carbon, and the horizontal DI.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back