RODI Reservoirs?

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I had the brilliant idea the other day while strolling down the isles of HomeDepot, Saw a 27 gallon tote and thought it would make a great reservoir and mixing container. When I was setting it up I noticed a distinct smell from the plastic. I know some people use brute trash cans so I don't think there is much of a difference. Just worried about the plastic leaching undesirables into the water? Is anyone else using random containers as reservoirs?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a blue 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can. I rinsed it with vinegar water 5+ years ago before using it, have cleaned it out exactly twice since and the TDS is still 0 in it.

Many plastic containers are made from the same plastic compunds, in the same molds and factories as their more expensive NSF food safe cousins but have never been tested and certified as food safe since their intended purpose was never to store food. Doesn't mean they are not safe, only that the manufacturer didn't spend tens of thousands of $$ and wait years to have them certified for a market he doesn't even sell them to.

Give it a shot. Watch the TDS though as this will be your indicator.

Ward9320

It's NOT a Nemo!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked these up on ebay. I use one to store my RO water and the other is for saltwater. The only smell I have ever smelt out of them was from the plumbing glue and it that smell took some time to go away.

Mixing3.jpg

I also use used 5 gallon buckets that at one point had pickles in them to take water to my tank in my office at work. I have been using these buckets for about 6 months now they still smell like pickles. Even though the smell is there I have never seen any ill effect with my water quality.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a blue 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can. I rinsed it with vinegar water 5+ years ago before using it, have cleaned it out exactly twice since and the TDS is still 0 in it.

Give it a shot. Watch the TDS though as this will be your indicator.
Is TDS the only thing I have to look out for? I was more concerned with some other hidden contaminant that I would not be able to test for.

I picked these up on ebay. I use one to store my RO water and the other is for saltwater. The only smell I have ever smelt out of them was from the plumbing glue and it that smell took some time to go away.

Mixing3.jpg

I did see your setup in another thread. I asked you about it there. Inspired me to make my own separate holding and mixing container setup thingy.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most contaminants will register as TDS with a good handheld TDS meter. Test kits and pocket type testers are not accurate in pure water so are of little value.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! So do I "HAVE" to soak it in vinegar water cause all i really did is let it sit for 2 days in reg water. It is new afterall.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH of the vinegar wil clean the oils off from the molding process. They are probably not water soluable by itself. Or you can do a good hot water and soap wash then use the vinegar water.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good Ill do a good Vinegar bath today!

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the quality of plastics if a tough one to cover. Im not the plastic answer man, but generally I try to use containers intended for food storage or potable water. I use the norwesco vertical storage tanks, like the units above, as well. HTH.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the quality of plastics if a tough one to cover. Im not the plastic answer man, but generally I try to use containers intended for food storage or potable water. I use the norwesco vertical storage tanks, like the units above, as well. HTH.

Where is the best place to buy these? I have been using Brute cans for awhile but I am looking for something better like you guys have.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt find them locally, you may be able. ill try to dig up where i got mine...but I sucked it up and ordered them online and paid the shipping. I see you are on the east cost, here is the distro list from norwesco for your area.
Norwesco

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt find them locally, you may be able. ill try to dig up where i got mine...but I sucked it up and ordered them online and paid the shipping. I see you are on the east cost, here is the distro list from norwesco for your area.
Norwesco

I appreciate the info. I will go on my journey to find the best price on these tanks.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. thats what i was gonna suggest. ;)

when i bought mine, i journeyed through most of the west coast sites, the prices all seemed fairly close...its the service and shipping that changes the game.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I do need to get better containers.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1388335707.681306.jpg

It's been full for a little over a week now. Still 0 TDS but it's bowing pretty bad. Need something more sturdy.

adhd_nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some food grade blue barrels. I believe these had tomato sauce in them previously.

2013-12-07 10.10.29.jpg

Also a video of my water change system:

[video=youtube;Yjm8saff39c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjm8saff39c[/video]

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back