RODI system

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not changed my filters in my 4 stage RO system, but was reading nearly 0 ppt for phosphate. Today we changed the filters and also went to 6 stage. One pre-filter, two carbon filters, and two color changing blocks. Now when testing with TDS meter, the one on the machine and a handheld unit, both are reading 16 ppt. What is wrong? Did I do something, do i have the incorrect water flow between each chamber. Your input will be helpful.

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not changed my filters in my 4 stage RO system, but was reading nearly 0 ppt for phosphate. Today we changed the filters and also went to 6 stage. One pre-filter, two carbon filters, and two color changing blocks. Now when testing with TDS meter, the one on the machine and a handheld unit, both are reading 16 ppt. What is wrong? Did I do something, do i have the incorrect water flow between each chamber. Your input will be helpful.

Is one of the filters upside down?

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. Looks like only the last two, the color changing blocks, are the only ones that could be upside down but the canisters holding the media...the end which screws on is on the bottom. Should be right.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to flush new membranes if you replaced them, and you'll also need to let it run normally for several gallons before you get useable water. The TDS should drop off after 5-10 gallons.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I did. I went from the 4 stage to 6 stage. I used my dual RFO/Carbon reactor as the other two stages. I double checked to see if anything was placed in the wrong directions...looks correct according to other articles. I did have to re-route some lines. With the 4 stage, after the second stage, the outlet went to the RO membrane. Using the 6 stage, I had to switch that line from the second stage to the third stage. When doing this, both TDS meters read 003. Before the change, I was reading 000.

Something else, I flush the whole system by making up about 10 gallons or RO water...the meters went from 150ish down to 012/016 and after the switch over went to 003.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screen capture of the system:

1585497028531.png

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back