Rodi top off

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been running about a week now and before I started I read that I would need to top up with freshwater daily due to the evaporation etc.
My salinity has remained the same throughout and water level has not dropped that I've noticed. Is this normal?

Jay1661

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has been running about a week now and before I started I read that I would need to top up with freshwater daily due to the evaporation etc.
My salinity has remained the same throughout and water level has not dropped that I've noticed. Is this normal?

Do you have a lid on your tank? I started my tank a week and a half ago, it has a lid so it doesn't evaporate as fast as some others tanks. My water level in the back has dropped 3-4 inches. My salinity started at 1.023 and this morning it was about 1.0255. Hoping I can stretch it that out to Saturday so I don't have to add RODI before I do my first water change. I know this really doesn't answer your question but it gives you something to compare it to.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many things that can contribute to evaporation rates, so every tank is a bit different. A daily top-off sounds like something that you would need for a smaller-sized tank in order to avoid measurable fluctuations in salinity. You certainly had some evaporation, however. It just may not have been enough (yet) to alter the salinity enough that it can be measured for your size of tank.

Another easy thing you can do is to place a piece of tape or such on your tank (or sump) at the current water line and observe that visual marker over the course of time.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank does have a lid so that could of been why it's slower.
My tank is a 400l so as you said it will just possibly take longer to notice any change.
I'll use the tape now and monitor it over the next week.

Thanks guys

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a sump? Because if you do, that's where the water level would drop from

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 189 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back