RODI top off

kemble9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new RODI system with 250 gallon storage. (Was tired of running to LFS for RO).

Am I to add anything to the 0 TDS water when doing top offs?

What supplements do you use and why?

What about when doing water changes? Do you add more than just reef salt?

Thanks in advance!

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you regularly supplement your top-off water with anything it risks the levels of that supplement slowly increasing in concentration in your display tank. So it's generally not recommended unless you have a specific reason to be adding that supplement and are capable of measuring and controlling the levels properly.

For doing just a top-off I use straight RO. Some people might add some kalkwasser mix, or run their top-off water through a kalk reactor, but only do that if you're needing the calcium and alkalinity supplementation and are measuring accordingly.

For water changes, I'd say most people only add the reef salt and nothing else. A few guys are measuring the water parameters in their change water and adjusting accordingly but that's something for the more experienced and detail oriented among us.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new RODI system with 250 gallon storage. (Was tired of running to LFS for RO).

Am I to add anything to the 0 TDS water when doing top offs?

What supplements do you use and why?

What about when doing water changes? Do you add more than just reef salt?

Thanks in advance!
There's never a "need" to add anything, but some folks uses it as a convenient way to deliver something they already know they need. :)

OP
OP
kemble9

kemble9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you regularly supplement your top-off water with anything it risks the levels of that supplement slowly increasing in concentration in your display tank. So it's generally not recommended unless you have a specific reason to be adding that supplement and are capable of measuring and controlling the levels properly.

For doing just a top-off I use straight RO. Some people might add some kalkwasser mix, or run their top-off water through a kalk reactor, but only do that if you're needing the calcium and alkalinity supplementation and are measuring accordingly.

For water changes, I'd say most people only add the reef salt and nothing else. A few guys are measuring the water parameters in their change water and adjusting accordingly but that's something for the more experienced and detail oriented among us.
Awesome! Thank you for that. I haven't added anything when topping off, but noticed the directions on a few supplement bottles(bacteria for example) recommend dosing when doing water changes, adding fish, etc.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you for that. I haven't added anything when topping off, but noticed the directions on a few supplement bottles(bacteria for example) recommend dosing when doing water changes, adding fish, etc.

Yep, at water change is typically the common time to dose, as you are removing some of the supplement at the same time, so it will eventually reach and maintain the desired concentration level. Which is why often times you'll see the instructions say to add a large initial dose, and then smaller doses during water changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back