RODI venture

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i finally broke down and got sick and tired of dragging buckets from my LFS for water changes.. just bought a 5 stage from BRS.. now i just need to be steered in the right direction. What salt, other equipment do i need.. my plan is having a brute trash can on wheels but that’s as far as i really know/have.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get whatever salt has parameters closest to what you’re aiming for.

I’d recommend TDS and Pressure meter for the system both are very useful. The tds meter is practically a necessity.

To mix you can just use an old pump or power head or just do it by hand. If you were pouring the LFS water in your tank by bucket then I highly recommend a pump with some tubing. So much easier and faster. Can just leave the pump without the tubing attached to mix everything and then attach the tubing and pump it up.

OP
OP
Patric1

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And did you get the TDS meter and pressure gauge?
Yess.. contemplated on getting it with or without for a 65$ difference but ended up getting it with just to be safe and have a piece of mind at the end

OP
OP
Patric1

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get whatever salt has parameters closest to what you’re aiming for.

I’d recommend TDS and Pressure meter for the system both are very useful. The tds meter is practically a necessity.

To mix you can just use an old pump or power head or just do it by hand. If you were pouring the LFS water in your tank by bucket then I highly recommend a pump with some tubing. So much easier and faster. Can just leave the pump without the tubing attached to mix everything and then attach the tubing and pump it up.
Now when i go to mix the salt i know it’s easier to mix with the powerhead on but after it’s mixed do i keep the powerhead running or turn it off.. I’m looking at creating enough water to last me a month or so..

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now when i go to mix the salt i know it’s easier to mix with the powerhead on but after it’s mixed do i keep the powerhead running or turn it off.. I’m looking at creating enough water to last me a month or so..
Yeah it would be ideal to continue to stir it during storage.

Some salts are better than other for not precipitating out.

However you could also just make sure to mix it a bit more just before you go to use it. You’d have to scrape it off the bottom though.

OP
OP
Patric1

Patric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it would be ideal to continue to stir it during storage.

Some salts are better than other for not precipitating out.

However you could also just make sure to mix it a bit more just before you go to use it. You’d have to scrape it off the bottom though.
It won’t precipitate out if i have a lid on it right?

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t precipitate out if i have a lid on it right?
By precipitate out I mean the salt will form crystals in the water (usually they’ll grow from the bottom of the container). It’ll happen regardless of having a lid or not. I didn’t mean the salt will leave the solution.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back