RODI vs Distilled Water?

Teebo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only maintain a 5 gallon pico reef, so I do not need much water....yet buying it from the LFS is a total pain. Can I use distilled water? They sell it by the gallon at my local grocery store for about $0.80 a gallon.

Another idea was what about those "Zero Water" pitchers that claim to have almost a 0 TDS reading? You know the new-age Brita filter haha I see the commercials on TV all the time, sort of seems like a Zero Pitcher would be easier and more affordable than a small RODI system.

Keep in mind I do weekly water changes on a pico so a lot of water is changed weekly.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I never used distilled but alot of people use it without issues, rodi is 0 tds and theres no guessing game as maybe some distilled water companys could contain metals. Your tank is small so yea it can save you ALOT monthly but you could also find a used rodi in a local forum for like 50 bucks

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never used distilled, ever. Id get a 4stage rodi unit from brs. You will not be disappointed!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good distillation systems have not contained copper and metals for decades.
Distilled water is a good choice for very small systems but at .80 a gallon would get very expensive for a larger system when you consider the average cost to produce your own RO/DI is around .05 .
The zero water systems do not usually last long so the cost of replacements gets very very expensive.

OP
OP
T

Teebo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zero water systems do not usually last long so the cost of replacements gets very very expensive.

Maybe I will look into a small used RODI system from eBay, China must sell a cheap unit that is effective enough for my needs lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS is all that matters right?

If TDS is 0 ppm, then the water will be OK if you started with drinking water of some sort.

The converse is not necessarily true. That is, water with 100 ppm TDS (or 20 or 500) may also be fine, depending on what is in it. Hence, the statement your wrote is not literally correct. 0 ppm TDS is just a convenient way to ensure the things we worry about are adequately low.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO distilled water is the perfect choice for nano tanks.. I'm currently using it exclusively in my two nano's without issues, if your doing a 10% water change every week or two and using it to top off your tank do to evaporation your yearly cost for a 5 gallon tank using distilled water would probably be around $35.00 so for the cost of a complete RO system you could buy many years worth of water.. You also have membrane replacement and deionizing resin maintenance/replacement costs involved with RO units, mounting/plumbing issues and a lot of wasted water down your drain.. The other great thing about the gallon jugs of distilled water is that it makes storing, mixing and using it so simple and easy. I do check each gallon with my TDS meter just to make sure it's ok before use.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teebo you've graduated to R2R! PM me here or TPT if you've got any more questions about your build and welcome!

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use distilled when in a pinch. I bought a ten dollar tds meter from LFS and check the distilled water I buy and it is usually close to or at zero. I think the $10 meter purchase would be worth it to make sure.

That being said, my new rodi system is in the mail so will not be doing that anymore.

Acameron2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at getting a ro/di unit for my 20g. Here's what I've came up with. (Going to the lfs for premixed saltwater gets annoying)

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458073991.259755.jpg

ruth howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked Dr. Foster and Smith. They are on sale for $59.49 for the 50 gallon per day. You will need to purchase a separate DI cartridge.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your money on portable RO or RO/DI systems! They cost more to operate and you end up with way more investment with lower water water quality. You'll spend a $100 on that when a real reef quality RO/DI with standard size 10" replacement filters, a batch tested high rejection rate RO membrane, inline pressure gauge and full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI only costs $125. The replacement filters are standard size so can be found most anywhere, in the preferred micron ranges, they are bigger so last longer and filter better and they cost less. One filter change and you are already money ahead. http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System
Or you can get a full size reef quality RO/DI with all the above plus a full set of 10" 1 micron replacement filters, a replacement reef specific 20 oz DI cartridge, a handheld TDS meter and a low range chlorine test kit for only $160. http://spectrapure.com/Aquarium-RO-...ement-Filter Kit-TDS Meters-Chlorine-Test-Kit

Besides that the portable systems really aren't much smaller and you don't have to deal with all the leaks from the plastic clips shifting around.

ruth howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my RO buddie. I replace the sediment and carbon cartridge twice a year at $7.00 each. Check the TDS at various different sources of water. For example my cities tap water is around 325ppm, after just the RO phase it is about 20ppm, after DI phase it is o ppm. The most savings comes from repacking my own DI resin.
ro buddie.jpg

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your money on portable RO or RO/DI systems! They cost more to operate and you end up with way more investment with lower water water quality. You'll spend a $100 on that when a real reef quality RO/DI with standard size 10" replacement filters, a batch tested high rejection rate RO membrane, inline pressure gauge and full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI only costs $125. The replacement filters are standard size so can be found most anywhere, in the preferred micron ranges, they are bigger so last longer and filter better and they cost less. One filter change and you are already money ahead. http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System
Or you can get a full size reef quality RO/DI with all the above plus a full set of 10" 1 micron replacement filters, a replacement reef specific 20 oz DI cartridge, a handheld TDS meter and a low range chlorine test kit for only $160. http://spectrapure.com/Aquarium-RO-...ement-Filter Kit-TDS Meters-Chlorine-Test-Kit

Besides that the portable systems really aren't much smaller and you don't have to deal with all the leaks from the plastic clips shifting around.
I swear after reading this thread I spent 20 minutes googling "reef buddie azdesertrat" wanting to see your thoughts. Thanks for saving me some time!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back