Rodi waste water uses.Tips?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone :)

So I’ve decided to invest in a RODI filter system for my 6 gallon nano tank. I was using distilled water but got tired of buying single gallon bottles and the plastic waste that goes along with it. I was surprised though how much ‘waste’ water it makes. First I was worried I overlooked a connection tube between the filters, thinking my water was just running through and out… until I noticed it trickling out in my collecting jug What do you guys do with this ‘waste’ water. Can this water be used for my freshwater tanks you think? Thinking of collecting some of it as I feel bad it all just goes down the drain. I’m curious what all of you do with it. Thanks! *Picture just for entertainment… this is my cat doing the quality control*

C4E07EF1-EF45-4253-B8F4-7917D1F6C205.jpeg

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it to water outdoor potted plants. I am sure that somebody has a super eco-friendly way of using it. I just give it back to the plants and dirt. Your aquafer/recharge zone can use it.
Yeah, thats a good idea right now during summer time

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO waste water contains high concentrations of various salts and possibly volatile organic compounds.It is unsuitable for bathing and swimming and can harm plants too by increasing salinity of the soil.
Basically you can use it to flush the toilet.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it to water outdoor potted plants. I am sure that somebody has a super eco-friendly way of using it. I just give it back to the plants and dirt. Your aquafer/recharge zone can use it.
I did that one year on my veggie garden and nothing was growing. Isn't called waste water for nothing. All the **** in our drinking water accumulated .

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO waste water contains high concentrations of various salts and possibly volatile organic compounds.It is unsuitable for bathing and swimming and can harm plants too by increasing salinity of the soil.
Suspect this depends a lot on where you live.

I did that one year on my veggie garden and nothing was growing. Isn't called waste water for nothing. All the **** in our drinking water accumulated .
I water elephant ears with it, a mangrove, a load of ferns, and my Vibernum. Been doing it for years.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. My local large city water is full of crap, I wouldnt use that for much of anything outside of disposal.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again it depends on what you’re filtering out. We use it for house and outdoor plants. Definitely do NOT use for your fresh water tanks. Unless your water supply is from glacier runoff. You can use it to do dishes, mop floors, wash your car, put out fires, etc. just get a few extra buckets from your home center and store the water in there.
Also if you want to reduce the waste water you can add an extra RO filter and you can get a close to 1:1 ratio.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspect this depends a lot on where you live.

I water elephant ears with it, a mangrove, a load of ferns, and my Vibernum. Been doing it for years.
I would use the waste water from my rainwater tank no worries, but that reads 3 ppm tds before it goes in. Townwater here is 200-300 ppm and that is getting more concentrated after rodi. Maybe your water is cleaner for starters.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the waste water from my rainwater tank no worries, but that reads 3 ppm tds before it goes in. Townwater here is 200-300 ppm and that is getting more concentrated after rodi. Maybe your water is cleaner for starters.
It also rains nearly every single day where I live.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back