Rodi waste water uses.Tips?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the assumption you use city water, down the drain, over to city processing, processed, then returned through your tap, for a fee. Then through your RODI and back into your DT. This fee can be a lot in some areas.

The water we use is the same water that’s been recycled by the planet for a billion years.

The problem is not “grey water”, it’s the garbage we dump in our lakes and oceans, or at least, in my opinion.

If we get serious about that issue, we will serve our planet, a billion times better than RODI waste.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all require a lot of maintenance at the beginning .
As they mature it becomes a lot easier . But … going away for long periods of time is hard.
Auto top off only lasts a few days

Testing … I test salinity , Alkalinity , calcium nitrates and phosphates every Sunday morning .

Never test ph , magnesium , ammonia or nitrite
How old does a tank need to be, tobe considered ‘matured’ in your opinion? Just invested in a Calcium and Alkalinity kit as well as I want to add stoney corals at one point. Thanks for all the info.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old does a tank need to be, tobe considered ‘matured’ in your opinion? Just invested in a Calcium and Alkalinity kit as well as I want to add stoney corals at one point. Thanks for all the info.
I don’t think there is a set timeline.
Saying on day number X your tank is now mature .

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the assumption you use city water, down the drain, over to city processing, processed, then returned through your tap, for a fee. Then through your RODI and back into your DT. This fee can be a lot in some areas.

The water we use is the same water that’s been recycled by the planet for a billion years.

The problem is not “grey water”, it’s the garbage we dump in our lakes and oceans, or at least, in my opinion.

If we get serious about that issue, we will serve our planet, a billion times better than RODI waste.
Point well made

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I see mature as the point in which nitrate and phosphate hold at desired levels, week in week out.

It means all our filtration systems are strong enough to pull out all the stuff that we put in like foods and the fish wastes.

At this point water changes become mute, however, a few water changes a year will keep your trace elements in check, otherwise you can just add these manually.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I see mature as the point in which nitrate and phosphate hold at desired levels, week in week out.

It means all our filtration systems are strong enough to pull out all the stuff that we put in like foods and the fish wastes.

At this point water changes become mute, however, a few water changes a year will keep your trace elements in check, otherwise you can just add these manually.
Thanks for sharing. But bigger tanks are in most cases more stable then small nano tanks right?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait… for what you use AND flush? Would ultrafiltration also remove the salinity you think? Where would you take a water sample like that to get it tested? TY
Ultrafiltration removes insoluble particulates down to 0.025 ppm. Just a finer sediment filtration process. Does not remove salts or items such as calcium or magnesium.

Not sure how much of a concern salt is for items such as plants. RODI doesn't add salts, just concentrates what was in the original source into that waste. If one is watering plants with municipal water than I struggle to see how that concentrate suddenly became an issue.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultrafiltration removes insoluble particulates down to 0.025 ppm. Just a finer sediment filtration process. Does not remove salts or items such as calcium or magnesium.

Not sure how much of a concern salt is for items such as plants. RODI doesn't add salts, just concentrates what was in the original source into that waste. If one is watering plants with municipal water than I struggle to see how that concentrate suddenly became an issue.
Thanks for explaining. I’m not sure either how much salt is bad for plants. I mostly water them with the waste water from my fresh water tanks.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for explaining. I’m not sure either how much salt is bad for plants. I mostly water them with the waste water from my fresh water tanks.
How I think of it. RO gonna waste minimum two to four gallons for one which means that waste has twice to four times the concentration of contaminates and unless the only water being used to water the plants then likely not going to be material enough when combined with all the other water ultimately being sprayed on those plants. Plus not all bad. Plants need many of the minerals being thrown out with that waste.

At a minimum. Ultrafiltration removes pesticides which should help all involved. Worth exploring the possibility.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I think of it. RO gonna waste minimum two to four gallons for one which means that waste has twice to four times the concentration of contaminates and unless the only water being used to water the plants then likely not going to be material enough when combined with all the other water ultimately being sprayed on those plants. Plus not all bad. Plants need many of the minerals being thrown out with that waste.

At a minimum. Ultrafiltration removes pesticides which should help all involved. Worth exploring the possibility.
I’ve been looking into it and I’ll probably explore that. Thanks for sharing your point of view.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I think of it. RO gonna waste minimum two to four gallons for one which means that waste has twice to four times the concentration of contaminates

4L @ 100ppm in
1L out @ 0.0ppm
3L out @ 400ppm

That must be the new math they are teaching.

In most cases the waste line water is quite a bit cleaner than tap water.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4L @ 100ppm in
1L out @ 0.0ppm
3L out @ 400ppm

That must be the new math they are teaching.

In most cases the waste line water is quite a bit cleaner than tap water.
3L/@133.333ppm would conserve mass particles in the equation.

Drunk Happy Hour GIF

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her title is Geologist. But she'sore proud of the hydrology masters vs the geo masters.

What I do is avoid talking ing to her about those things. She goes way over my head.
PG is a pretty nice moniker. My wife is a certified Ecologist Emeritus. I am just the GIS guy...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back