Rodi waste water uses.Tips?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PG is a pretty nice moniker. My wife is a certified Ecologist Emeritus. I am just the GIS guy...
Oh she hated arc GIS. I remember her cussing for hours back then. I am happy to say I don't have to hid for hours on end while she imports data.

And like jabberwock, sorry for the usurpation of this thread.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh she hated arc GIS. I remember her cussing for hours back then. I am happy to say I don't have to hid for hours on end while she imports data.

That's funny. I cuss everyone else for doing it wrong. New GIS thread in the near future...

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that may be jokingly said, but that should totally be a thing!
I unironically think it could be, if you use solar energy you can sell back the energy to the electric company, its probably really stupid to think there's value in this 'recycled water' but I wonder if some companies would actually find value in it or reduce the bill lol..

EDIT: https://www.energy.gov/femp/reclaimed-wastewater-map maybe i aint as dumb as i thought

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unironically think it could be, if you use solar energy you can sell back the energy to the electric company, its probably really stupid to think there's value in this 'recycled water' but I wonder if some companies would actually find value in it or reduce the bill lol..

EDIT: https://www.energy.gov/femp/reclaimed-wastewater-map maybe i aint as dumb as i thought
My city charges for the return of wastewater... no joke. I have 2 bills. One is irrigation. Since irrigation water goes back to the ground water, it doesn't get returned and I don't get charged. But for every gallon my I am charged for using on the second feed in, I am charged an exact equal amount for the wastewater.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Be my guest Always good to see ppl finding common ground/interests.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be on topic, we have an on demand hot and cold RODI system for cooking and drinking. The waste just runs out to the septic system.

Could be a missed opportunity?
Might sound dumb here… but I always thought that RODI wasn’t good for drinking as too much of the minerals get extracted? That it’s also not recommended for fresh water because of this? But then again I’ve just been browsing the web for info

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might sound dumb here… but I always thought that RODI wasn’t good for drinking as too much of the minerals get extracted? That it’s also not recommended for fresh water because of this? But then again I’ve just been browsing the web for info

It’s not good for you to drink but it’s not bad for you either. You just won’t be getting the minerals or fluoride that is in some tap water.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4L @ 100ppm in
1L out @ 0.0ppm
3L out @ 400ppm

That must be the new math they are teaching.

In most cases the waste line water is quite a bit cleaner than tap water.
What you are missing is that what was provided in the 4L remains in the waste. Nothing was added. Just concentrated. For example, if that 100ppm was a pound of salt then that concentrate of 400ppm still only contains a pound of salt. No more. No less. Assuming the waste as in your example contains all that the source provided.

Not new math. Just simple comprehension.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO waste water contains high concentrations of various salts and possibly volatile organic compounds.It is unsuitable for bathing and swimming and can harm plants too by increasing salinity of the soil.
Basically you can use it to flush the toilet.
Where are these coming from? Asking as the DI resin doesn’t seem to dissolve and can’t imagine this stuff coming out of the carbon blocks.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are missing is that what was provided in the 4L remains in the waste. Nothing was added. Just concentrated. For example, if that 100ppm was a pound of salt then that concentrate of 400ppm still only contains a pound of salt. No more. No less. Assuming the waste as in your example contains all that the source provided.

Not new math. Just simple comprehension.
Ok. Let’s see if we can get you there.

4 liters of undesirable contaminants concentrated into 3 L. That means the 3 L would have 33.33 repeating more more contaminant per liter than the original 4 L. Not the 200-400% more you stated. That’s also ignoring the sediment and carbon stages.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4 liters of undesirable contaminants concentrated into 3 L. That means the 3 L would have 33.33 repeating more more contaminant per liter than the original 4 L. Not the 200-400% more you stated. That’s also ignoring the sediment and carbon stages.
Right. Unless the sediment and carbon are barely removing anything the water rejected by an RO membrane with 3:1 efficiency should have lower levels of impurities than the tap water you’re feeding in.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’re not getting it. That concentrate is the same amount as the source or less based on how much removed by the pre filters. Perhaps go read what I wrote that you previously quoted.

I’m not going to continue this pointless discussion. Can’t add more than received. Therefore can’t throw away more than started. Can’t explain that any other way but if you think it’s new math then go troll someone else. I don’t have the patience for this nonsense.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Unless the sediment and carbon are barely removing anything the water rejected by an RO membrane with 3:1 efficiency should have lower levels of impurities than the tap water you’re feeding in.
eggsactly, some of the mind stories ppl make up then amplify are amazing

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let mine go down the drain. But my drain goes through by septic system which after filtration the liquid flows to a creek on our property that is a branch of the black river which flows to lake Erie so I really don't feel like I'm wasting it. If I had a public sewer system I would try to recycle some for plant etc.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EDIT: https://www.energy.gov/femp/reclaimed-wastewater-map maybe i
I just let mine go down the drain. But my drain goes through by septic system which after filtration the liquid flows to a creek on our property that is a branch of the black river which flows to lake Erie so I really don't feel like I'm wasting it. If I had a public sewer system I would try to recycle some for plant etc.
In your case that does indeed feel like it serves a good cause :) Love that

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not getting it. That concentrate is the same amount as the source or less based on how much removed by the pre filters. Perhaps go read what I wrote that you previously quoted.

I’m not going to continue this pointless discussion. Can’t add more than received. Therefore can’t throw away more than started. Can’t explain that any other way but if you think it’s new math then go troll someone else. I don’t have the patience for this nonsense.

What’s your ratio of processed to waste water? If you’re is 2< : 1 you are correct. The standard is more like 1 : 3-5

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. We have a pH balancer/remineralizer that adds back good minerals. We end up without the chlorine and fluoride or other undesirable stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back