Rodi waste water uses.Tips?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your ratio of processed to waste water? If you’re is 2< : 1 you are correct. The standard is more like 1 : 3-5
Forget ratios. Focus on the contents of that source ppm. Why I used a pound of salt as an example. Can’t produce more salt than source provided regardless of what ratio that waste ends up being.

The membrane will direct all the salt to waste. That waste water just had a greater concentrate but not a greater amount of salt. Can never be more than the pound provided. Why 100ppm equal 400ppm in one quarter the volume of water. Still represents one pound of salt.

If one pound of salt in 4L of water isn’t detrimental then neither is one pound of salt in 1L. Still one pound of salt.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO gonna waste minimum two to four gallons for one which means that waste has twice to four times the concentration of contaminates and unless the only water being used to water the plants then likely not going to be material enough when combined with all the other water ultimately being sprayed on those plants.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some ratios before those get out of control

Screenshot_20230806_142659_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. We have a pH balancer/remineralizer that adds back good minerals. We end up without the chlorine and fluoride or other undesirable stuff.
That’s pretty cool actually. I think it’s neat being able to take full control over the composition of your water for consumption. You know exactly what goes into your body vs relying on what comes from your tap and often only passed through a basic filter.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty cool actually. I think it’s neat being able to take full control over the composition of your water for consumption. You know exactly what goes into your body vs relying on what comes from your tap and often only passed through a basic filter.
It is my wife's doing. The other cool benefit is that it provides 200 degree hot RODI water on demand.

Coffee time just got a lot easier!

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running it into my pool as I was just making 5g buckets on the pool deck as needed. Just started up a larger tank and a 40g supply can in the garage. Now it runs over to the koi pond. Water comes in via a whole house filter so my incoming water is just 3tds so not worried about impacts on the pond. Pond gets much worse from the hose prior to the whole house filter.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI water is only bad to drink if you aren't getting the necessary vitamins and minerals in your diet. Beverage companies aren't using tap water as the base of their drinks.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why anyone isn't using dual membranes that's paying for water Idk...
I do :cool:
Back in the day I would run my water through carbon then through cation and ation chambers and had zero waste water . The resins were rechargeable with muriatic acid for one then sodium hydroxide for the other . I haven’t done this in years but may go back . I’m getting a 1:1 ratio now and the resins are so much cheaper than they were back then and more accessible . If that changes or water gets really expensive I would go back to a zero waste water set up .

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do :cool:
Back in the day I would run my water through carbon then through cation and ation chambers and had zero waste water . The resins were rechargeable with muriatic acid for one then sodium hydroxide for the other . I haven’t done this in years but may go back . I’m getting a 1:1 ratio now and the resins are so much cheaper than they were back then and more accessible . If that changes or water gets really expensive I would go back to a zero waste water set up .
I thought you were saying "I do" use dual membranes....lol

I have 11 stages, and 300+ incoming tds with dirty ol' city water full of chloramines....

it's all about the water says the water boy!!!

1epye8.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were saying "I do" use dual membranes....lol

I have 11 stages, and 300+ incoming tds with dirty ol' city water full of chloramines....

it's all about the water says the water boy!!!

1epye8.jpg
Sorry my bad lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . I do use a RO system with double membranes and 7 canisters these days . I too have high chloramines as well . I was also stating what I used to use back in the day . Sorry for the confusion .

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live that water is that cheap?

Where I am in Florida the current rate on last months was 2.28 per thousand then going up 20-30 cents every 5k till 30k cap on residential.

This data is a couple years old but it’s what popped up first.

IMG_2532.jpeg

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone :)

So I’ve decided to invest in a RODI filter system for my 6 gallon nano tank. I was using distilled water but got tired of buying single gallon bottles and the plastic waste that goes along with it. I was surprised though how much ‘waste’ water it makes. First I was worried I overlooked a connection tube between the filters, thinking my water was just running through and out… until I noticed it trickling out in my collecting jug What do you guys do with this ‘waste’ water. Can this water be used for my freshwater tanks you think? Thinking of collecting some of it as I feel bad it all just goes down the drain. I’m curious what all of you do with it. Thanks! *Picture just for entertainment… this is my cat doing the quality control*

C4E07EF1-EF45-4253-B8F4-7917D1F6C205.jpeg
I don’t have a use for my water water but I am curious to have it tested to see what’s in it and then I could find some applications for it im sure

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol same . It's summer here but it ain't stopped raining. Wales is the worse place for it .
I went to a friends wedding in Cardiff. They didn’t warn me about the weather and I forgot to check the forecast and forgot to have my jacket outside of luggage. We landed and I near flew off the runway when we disembarked it was alerting with gale force like winds. It was hilarious.

Nosferatu (Nos)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I’ve decided to invest in a RODI filter system for my 6 gallon nano tank. I was using distilled water but got tired of buying single gallon bottles and the plastic waste that goes along with it. I was surprised though how much ‘waste’ water it makes. First I was worried I overlooked a connection tube between the filters, thinking my water was just running through and out… until I noticed it trickling out in my collecting jug What do you guys do with this ‘waste’ water. Can this water be used for my freshwater tanks you think? Thinking of collecting some of it as I feel bad it all just goes down the drain. I’m curious what all of you do with it. Thanks! *Picture just for entertainment… this is my cat doing the quality control*

I'm curious what others are doing with it also, My well water has less than 45pmm to begin with, so I water my lawn and plants with it. but as soon as winter comes that will no longer be an option.

I'm also curious what people are doing with it. My well water has less than 45ppm, so I use my waste water to water my plants and lawn. Unfortunately as soon as winter comes, that will no longer be an option. I will be using it to flush the toilet in the winter, but I'd like to learn about more options, if there are any. Good question and good picture of your curious kitty.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s endless summer where I am and the run off goes directly to some plants in my garden and they grow at a faster rate than anything else around. A lot of calcium in the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back