Rodi waste water uses

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to know if its ok to give pets the waste water from a rodi system. I'm already using it in the washer to do a few loads, also watering some plants as well. Anything else useful that can done with the waste?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you drink it? I would not give it to my pets.

Mpfaff77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give my dogs RO water. If my fish are good enough so are my 2 mutts

If your worried about waste I saw a zero waste system that puts waste water back into your hot lines. My next big purchase. I hate wasting water too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive he is talking about ro waste not ro water.

Mpfaff77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive he is talking about ro waste not ro water.

I understand that. I was saying I don't give pets waste water. I give them the good stuff. RO water.

They also make a "zero waste system". It hooks up to the waste water line and sends all the waste water back into the hot supply line and can be used for showering, Dw, washer, etc.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FLKeysGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...but would you want all the waste in the waste water to end up in your water heater? just a thought.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think the waste water would be all that bad considering its already past through a pre filter, sediment filter, carbon block and membrane. But then again with the membrane really being the work horse of the system, that would mean a lot of what's in that waste is ***** water then right? Just a thought. Didn't want to waste more than I have to.

SplishsplashME

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big deal for a hot water storage tank, if you have taken an old tank out you will see why and you'll stop drinking shower water, if it is an on demand system I would be careful, the heat is so hot on the heat exchanger that it causes minerals and such to build up even with fresh water can only imagine with waste water. (I own a heating company and wouldn't recommend it.) down the drain it goes for me, part of having clean water.

JbJ 28g nano. Fire Goby, sebae anemone. Snails and hermits.

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really think ro waste is that bad. It passed through all the filters minus the membrane. I dont feel its any worse then pre ro water.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that the waste water is more considerated with all the nasty stuff at that point vs. before it went into the system? I honestly thought it would be fine. Has anyone ever ran any tests on there waste water to see?

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly never tested it. I guess to a point it is more consentrated but the sediment and carbon also pulled some stuff out. Only way to know is to test it

Jawbone flats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reject water is fine to drink for humans and pets alike. there is no nasty stuff in it aside from the dissolved solids that we did not want to introduce into our tanks. the Reject water leaving my RO/DI filter system is still cleaner than the supply water going into the RO/DI system for the simple fact that it had to pass my first two stages of filtration (sediment and carbon in my case).

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is so safe why do the we have to run it to the drain?

Buckeye Field Supply

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't say anything about the quality of the concentrate (a.k.a. waste water) without knowing about the quality of the feedwater. So for example, we have customers with a feedwater TDS of 30 ppm. TDS get concentrated and waste water will have a TDS of about 20% higher than the feedwater. So their waste water will hav a TDS of 40 ppm. My guess is that is cleaner than your tapwater.

At the other end of the spectrum we have other customers with feedwater over 2200 ppm. Their concentrate would be over 2600 ppm. I wouldn't drink it. But then again I wouldn't drink their tap water either!

Russ

SplishsplashME

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about wasting water you could always distill it after and use that for drinking water.

JbJ 28g nano. Fire Goby, sebae anemone. Snails and hermits.

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started making some water this morning and while doing so I put my TDS "out" on the waste line to see what it reads. Its coming out at 140! Going in is only 76. Wow! You think thats still ok? I mean 140 still isn't bad but I like the sound of 76 better. Lol

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zero waste systems are limited to about 15GPD and are for small drinking water systems only. I for one have no desire to dump concentrated brine in my hot water heater, shortening its expensive life.

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about hooking a tub up to it and pumping it outside to water your garder or lawn. Sounds like it would be a great use for it...

OP
OP
joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the waste going into a5 gallon bucket and use it for the plants in and around the house. I also limit using the system until a load of laundry needs to be done so I'm not wasting so much. Just thought id see what everyone else is doing with the waste water. Thanks guys for the replies

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back