Rod's Food vs. LRS Reef Frenzy (Larry's Reef Services) - What is the Difference? or are they the Sam

Do you use Rod's Food or LRS Reef Frenzy?

• Total voters

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by Rod's. I like to feed a lot and this is a very clean food which allows me to keep phosphate down without GFO. All of my fish love this stuff and my shrimp have refused to go back to pellets after eating frozen. My 5 year old pair of Clowns finally laid eggs after switching to this food. Rods keeps my fish fat and happy and I am not doing tons of water changes.

Rods makes my fish happy

Last edited by a moderator:

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish eat both with a vengeance but I find Rods has more chunks of food while LRS has a lot of much smaller pieces.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods all the way, the reddish color is due to cyclop-eeze, and with rods there is no need to rinse as there is with LRS. Also with Rods you have a larger variety of types of food, from you to choose from for the specific use you are looking for. IMO and IME Rods is cleaner and you have more of choice on what you are putting into your tank.

I am confused.

1. You are not supposed to Rinse Either as there is Fine Particle Coral Food in Both. Rinse and you will Loose the Coral Food.
2. Even if you did Rinse (Not supposed to Anyways) why would you Rinse one but not the other.

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused.

1. You are not supposed to Rinse Either as there is Fine Particle Coral Food in Both. Rinse and you will Loose the Coral Food.
2. Even if you did Rinse (Not supposed to Anyways) why would you Rinse one but not the other.

I am not even sure why needed any rinsing. I admit Rods has some cloudiness but it clears up within the minutes. The cloudiness is coral food anyhow so your Corals get what they need and your fish also. That's probably one thing that is lacking with LRS unless I am mistaken. Rods has an All in One blend so your fish and coral get some happiness.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using LRS ever since Larry came out and gave a personal presentation to the local club back in 2014. I've tried almost everything but his chunky blend (no large fish). I've never had an issue with cloudy food, nutrient issues and fish not eating. I think the food speaks for itself due to the attention it has been getting with all the high end fish coming in and being fed LRS with success.

Everyone will have their preferences. I'm sure both foods have their ups and downs but it will be very hard to do a direct comparison.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. I don't understand all the fuss about having to strain Rods. Maybe if you were in a 5 gal tank and fed a huge chunk at once it would matter but after testing my tank prior to feeding, food in the water and 30 min after feeding there was zero change in nitrate or phosphate levels in the water. My fish eat whatever is in the tank and there is no way of knowing if the fish like one more than the other, when I feed all the food gets eaten whether it is LRS or Rods.

The LRS story is nice, feeding fish that were tough to get eating, but in my case Nutramar Ova has done a better job at getting tough to eat fish eating frozen food. How often does the average reefer have to worry about this...pretty limited. Once your fish are eating they will attack whatever decent food you put in there especially if they are eating flake and pellets.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not even sure why needed any rinsing. I admit Rods has some cloudiness but it clears up within the minutes. The cloudiness is coral food anyhow so your Corals get what they need and your fish also. That's probably one thing that is lacking with LRS unless I am mistaken. Rods has an All in One blend so your fish and coral get some happiness.

Both Offer Fine Particle Coral Foods.

Brandon Donaldson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought bouth to day my tank has neaver had ether my fish reacted better for the LRS with that sead the LRS had some huge pecis in it and I bought the nano pack my Midas could not eat the big pieces but my blasto did lol I like thim bouth I will feed bouth until my fish refuse one or the other

James605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both, I went with lrs, the rods made the water cloudy, not sure why but it felt "dirty" to me.

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lrs food here my corals love it! I feed it 2x a week and feed a nice chunk to my scolly.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is a National (Actually Worldwide) Forum.

It is just nobody here seems to use LRS.

I think Rod's is in the Chicago area and LRS in the South Carolina area.

So I thought that maybe it was a regional thing (That they distribute mostly in their part of the country).

Michigan is close to Chicago and sometimes there is a Rod's Food Booth at Local Frag Swaps.

I asked my LFS (They sell Rod's) about it to try it and they said that they never heard of it but they have been selling Rod's for Years Now.

I do not have a way of getting LRS to try so I was just curious.

Last edited:

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Rods fish food ever around since going to the booth at Aquashella Chicago last year. My fish love it, blenny, clowns, and Puffer. Not sure if food helped with this, but one of my clowns starting hosting my anemone (I believe a month) after feeding rods food, after it had not for the couple of months I had. Smaller particles in the food have been great for spot feeding my lps/soft/ and basic sps corals.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow this thread is almost five years old with a 76% rating favoring LRS! Thanks everyone for the support and we really enjoy our interactions with the R2R community. As a family owned and operated business we have had explosive growth over the past 7 years. LRS "Frenzy" foods are now distributed in 500+ retail stores spread across 9 countries. You can search our dealer map by entering your zip code here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

If you cannot find LRS locally www.PremiumAquatics.com the only online retail helping us deliver food directly to consumers.

Over the past few years a significant portion of our business has been supplying food for public aquariums, zoos, and aquaculture facilities. Some of the more recent projects we've been involved with include the captive bred blue and yellow tangs. (A dozen others are listed on our LRSFoods.com website if that stuff interests you.)

We have a large following of friends on our Facebook page where we share the latest news on a daily basis. LRS is expanding again with the construction of a 2700 square foot building expected to be completed by October. This two story structure is wired for more freezers and designed as a streamlined pack and ship station on the ground floor. The second floor will have an office and more. In addition to our own products which we manufacture LRS Foods distributes PE Mysis, Reef Nutrition, Benepets, Coral Frenzy, Poly Filter, Two Little Fishes feeding devices. More brands are coming under our roof this Fall as we strive to offer all the quality foods an LFS needs under one roof.

As always thanks for all the positive feedback and happy reefing!

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.11.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.17.23 AM.png

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow this thread is almost five years old with a 76% rating favoring LRS! Thanks everyone for the support and we really enjoy our interactions with the R2R community. As a family owned and operated business we have had explosive growth over the past 7 years. LRS "Frenzy" foods are now distributed in 500+ retail stores spread across 9 countries. You can search our dealer map by entering your zip code here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

If you cannot find LRS locally www.PremiumAquatics.com the only online retail helping us deliver food directly to consumers.

Over the past few years a significant portion of our business has been supplying food for public aquariums, zoos, and aquaculture facilities. Some of the more recent projects we've been involved with include the captive bred blue and yellow tangs. (A dozen others are listed on our LRSFoods.com website if that stuff interests you.)

We have a large following of friends on our Facebook page where we share the latest news on a daily basis. LRS is expanding again with the construction of a 2700 square foot building expected to be completed by October. This two story structure is wired for more freezers and designed as a streamlined pack and ship station on the ground floor. The second floor will have an office and more. In addition to our own products which we manufacture LRS Foods distributes PE Mysis, Reef Nutrition, Benepets, Coral Frenzy, Poly Filter, Two Little Fishes feeding devices. More brands are coming under our roof this Fall as we strive to offer all the quality foods an LFS needs under one roof.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.11.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.17.23 AM.png
Just picked up some reef frenzy today! Super excited to give it a try, I just wish I bought more from all the positive reviews!

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My fish really love the LRS stuff but man it's hard to get locally. Neither of the two LFS that are supposed to stock it ever have much in stock (and honestly even before COVID I preferred not to give either of them much business. That's for another thread though lol). I'll have to order some from premium aquatics. Are there any other online retailers now that you didn't have in 2019?

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both a lot, and while I prefer making my own food, LRS is much closer to that in my opinion. My fish liked both, but I noticed less clouding of the water with the LRS, and it was more real chunks of fish/shellfish.

Again, though, you can make your own for a fraction of what it costs you.
How do u make your own food?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%

Back