Frozen meal plans: Do you have food for your reef tank in the freezer?

Do you have food for your reef tank in the freezer?

• I currently have frozen food for my reef tank in the freezer.

Votes: 520 94.9%
  • Not now, but I do keep frozen food for my reef tank in the freezer.

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • I never keep frozen food for my reef tank.

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

durningc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 12 year old marine Bata. It will only eat fully frozen mysys cubes. If I let it melt or try to feed it anything else it refuses to eat. So I tap on the glass twice and drop a cube in. He takes it whole then breaks it down in his mouth.

calhoun3186

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed tons of frozen food to all my fish (fresh and salt) and almost exclusively frozen to my reef tank. Fish seem to love it and its harder to overfeed the tank IMO.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How do you mix it up? I tried this once, and used a blender. The result was too liquified to use.
I use a blender as well.
Maybe try freezing everything first? That way it won't get as finely broken down in the blender.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frozen fish food in the freezer door was "OK", but now that I am growing phytoplankton and storing gallons in the refrigerator, the wife has deemed I need to find my own cold storage. Looking at mini refrigerators/freezers this weekend.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a blender as well.
Maybe try freezing everything first? That way it won't get as finely broken down in the blender.
Is that what you do? For me, the problem was the salmon. The blender turned it to liquid. It might be good for coral feeding, but it was too liquified to feed the fish, and I'd worry that it would drive my nutrients too high.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is that what you do? For me, the problem was the salmon. The blender turned it to liquid. It might be good for coral feeding, but it was too liquified to feed the fish, and I'd worry that it would drive my nutrients too high.
Normally, no. I put everything in my Vitamix fresh and it come out to a soupy goo. After freezing in the cube trays, it seems to solidify well enough.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally, no. I put everything in my Vitamix fresh and it come out to a soupy goo. After freezing in the cube trays, it seems to solidify well enough.
Yes, but when it thaws in the tank water, it becomes liquid. At least that was the problem for me.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a batch every two months. Keep it in double ziplock bags and then Tupperware

E29DBA66-DCD4-48A4-82FE-E31B91BC7FD4.jpeg

C7DC3A24-EFA4-46B4-8515-E261D72D7FAC.jpeg

0A838971-57B3-4104-B970-F565E6845DFA.jpeg
00FE6237-CCF6-4CF7-8662-8280262C58AC.jpeg

7FA611AF-7787-41C6-A85A-8C37292FF6CA.jpeg

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make sure I have frozen artemia in the freezer for my fish.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you mix it up? I tried this once, and used a blender. The result was too liquified to use.
I use a food processor with a grating plate. Got it cheap at walmart and do it frozen in small pieces. Then hand mix with the liquids and other dry ingredients.

MugiwaraGrape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotate between flake mixes and frozen. MWF is flake mix and Tuesday Thursday is frozen with a broadcast of reef roids.

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with the Omega One or SF frozen food that none of the fish will eat it? Not expired and constantly frozen but none of them will touch it?

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen meal plans: Do you have food for your reef tank in the freezer?

There are many types and ways to add frozen food to your reef tank. From purchasing prepackage frozen fish food to making DIY frozen food with some of the ingredients from your local grocery store, keeping the food cold through the process is a key to keeping the food at its best for the livestock in your tank. Which leads us to your refrigerator… do you have frozen food for your reef tank in the freezer? Let us know if you use a separate reef-related refrigerator/freezer or maybe you have a section in the household freezer that you use for your frozen reef food. Additionally, please share any tips for keeping frozen fish food. After all, it can get a little awkward when the ice cream has a faint Reef Frenzy taste.

Gosnell_Feeding.jpeg

Photo by @jeremy.gosnell

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarFoodsBanner.gif

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates."
Always! For last 30yrs be it homemade or bought.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forage for clams, mussels also frozen foods I also collect gut weed for my shrimps and blennys to eat and sea lettuce they love it

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make 9-12 lbs of home made frozen food once a year. 3-4 lbs of each: Frozen Shrimp, Tuna, and scallops (all from Costco). I use a Kitchen aid cheese greater attachment for the kitchen aid mixer and create slices of all the meat. I keep it frozen while grating it and use double pans with ice to catch it all. I mix it with Nori, some benelife coral food, selcon (1-2 bottles), and dried phyto powder and one other dried powder of some type (Red and Green). I mix it all together carefull adding in Freeze dried mysis to the mixture (1-2 containers of mysis).

Once fully mixed, I then use 1 gallon zip lock bags and weigh it out, and 1 lb of food makes a 1 gallon baggie. I flatten it out so I can break it apart for feeding and place in freezer.

In between that and other freeze dried foods I feed with my new awesome avast plank feeder, I also feed cubes of frozen mysis, brine, and Krill.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back