Frozen meal plans: Do you have food for your reef tank in the freezer?

Do you have food for your reef tank in the freezer?

• I currently have frozen food for my reef tank in the freezer.

Votes: 520 94.9%
  • Not now, but I do keep frozen food for my reef tank in the freezer.

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • I never keep frozen food for my reef tank.

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have frozen mysis, brine, marine cuisine, saltwater multi-pack. Feeding clowns, dotty, damsel, sawfish and inverts. Mysis seems to be the most popular among them along with NLS Marine Fish pellets. Though I pre-cut the cubes in half and place in weekly pill containers to freeze because a full cube is too much in one sitting.

Attachments

• IMG_9143.jpeg
    IMG_9143.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 33

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always have Hikari frozen mysis and brine and a varying assortment of other stuff. Last order I got a few pounds of the Hikari plankton. Fish like it, especially Anthias, so probably a permanent addition. This time around also have some Hikari mega angel (looks like little rat turds lol), coral gumbo, calanus, reef caviar and ez pods. Usually mix up about a weeks worth in a squirt bottle and toss in some oyster feast, amino, vitamins and paracoccus powder. They get that a couple times a day plus prime reef and spirulina flakes in between. Nori is also always on the menu.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fridge /freezer in kitchen not used for frozen fish food but occasionally use the fridge if I harvest to much Phyto. Full size freezer in garage is where I store my DIY fish food. Small fridge freezer in lower level of house where my tank is, is used to store my cultured Phyto and some additives that need/should be kept cold for longevity.
When I make my DIY fish food all meat products are blended while frozen and I have one mixing container filled with ice for the food mixing container to sit in to keep the food cold. All the meat products I purchase do not have any additives added.
20230528_154942.jpg 20230825_144103.jpg 20230421_085316.jpg 20230421_083609.jpg 20230610_085000.jpg

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pellets or flakes for me!

I have a container where I thaw:
1x cube mysis
1x cube spirulina brine
1x cube ocean plankton
1x cube calanus
1x cube sized chunk of LRS

I mix that all together when thawed and feed 2-3 times per day

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish eggs (my fav food for corals as well), artemia with garlic or vitamins, krill, bloodworms and Mysis are fed everyday at least 5 blocks. I like to feed few times a day.

I also feed live mosquito larvae to all the fish and it’s having a incredible affect particularly on the Banggai Cardinals they are now constantly breeding and all the males stay in such good condition and once the fry are large enough they grow like crazy on it. I’ve got a couple of rain water butts round the side of my house and I harvester them daily when the mosquito are breeding, big net full…then I get real satisfaction watching them being eaten for a change instead of me! Lol

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fridge /freezer in kitchen not used for frozen fish food but occasionally use the fridge if I harvest to much Phyto. Full size freezer in garage is where I store my DIY fish food. Small fridge freezer in lower level of house where my tank is, is used to store my cultured Phyto and some additives that need/should be kept cold for longevity.
When I make my DIY fish food all meat products are blended while frozen and I have one mixing container filled with ice for the food mixing container to sit in to keep the food cold. All the meat products I purchase do not have any additives added.
20230528_154942.jpg 20230825_144103.jpg 20230421_085316.jpg 20230421_083609.jpg 20230610_085000.jpg
so organized. And good wontons too ;-)

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed frozen almost everyday. I enjoy the routine and the dumb cardinals will only eat frozen lol. Even my wild mandarin will eat tdo, but the bangai just ignores everything except frozen food.

edit: I am in the process of getting a second fridge.. fiance definitely does not like frozen fish food in the frezzer
i hear ya about the spouse hating the food in the freezer. i hear about it whenever she opens it. "this nasty stuff needs to be in the garage fridge!" Have to remind her each time our garage fridge doesn't have a freezer section- :winking-face-with-tongue:

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been doing reef nutrition feeds and tdo for a few months now. Never going back if I can afford to

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aldi all raw seafood medley, $6.99 for a 1lb bag. Best bang for the buck! Throw in blender with some PE Pellets, nori and what every else I have.

seafood-mix.jpg
do you have a mix ratio or just what you have? Kind a like this plan. Wish I saved my little baby food blender and frozen pack set up. Would be perfect.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a mix ratio or just what you have? Kind a like this plan. Wish I saved my little baby food blender and frozen pack set up. Would be perfect.
No mix ratio. Just add the bag and other items such as clam bits, crab meat etc. Makes about about three months worth. Any more and the bags get freezer burn.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all of my frozen in a separate freezer. Can't have have my whiskey ice tasting fishy.
whiskey GIF

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aldi all raw seafood medley, $6.99 for a 1lb bag. Best bang for the buck! Throw in blender with some PE Pellets, nori and what every else I have.

seafood-mix.jpg
Please don't take this as an insult but myself there is no way I would feed this to fish in a reef tank. I am not sure if you are aware of the preservative used in this product. When the ingredients says sodium, that IS NOT regular plain old salt. If it was it would say salt added or salt and water added. When it just says sodium, the sodium added is Sodium Tripolyphosphate ( Na5P3O10 ). Key word is phosphate and 370mg IMO is quite high. Also the mussels are not raw. They are pre-cooked.
Just thought you should know if you didn't already.

Last edited:

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't take this as an insult but myself there is no way I would feed this to fish in a reef tank. I am not sure if you are aware of the preservative used in this product. When the ingredients says sodium, that IS NOT regular plain old salt. If it was it would say salt added or salt and water added. When it just says sodium, the sodium added is Sodium Tripolyphosphate ( Na5P3O10 ). Key word is phosphate and 370mg IMO is quite high. Also the mussels are not raw. They are pre-cooked.
Just thought you should know if you didn't already.
No insult taken, thanks for taking the time to look up the info. I've been using this recipe along with others for several years. Tank parameters are good and livestock are healthy. The entire tank has been fed this or a variation with no ill effects.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 8.6 grams of Reef Frenzy frozen FF divided in to daily feedings and 1 sheet of seaweed in the morning. By weighing the frozen I have been able to dial-in predictable PO4 and NO3. I pre-cut the frozen slabs into ~ 4.3 gram squares (eyeballed), but throw them on the scale and adjust if needed before thawing. Sounds like a lot, but I have gotten it down to a pretty quick routine. Happy growing corals and fat fish (PO4 ~ .03 and NO3 ~ 3).

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own and freeze in silicone ice cube trays.
Recipe : Clams, scallops, shrimp, salmon, silversides, octopus, spirulina, nori & garlic - thaw 1 cube in AB+, liquid mysis, oyster feast, and phyto.
dan aykroyd blender GIF by Saturday Night Live
How do you mix it up? I tried this once, and used a blender. The result was too liquified to use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back