The best live foods to feed to your reef!!! What live foods are you consistently adding?

What live foods are you consistently adding? (select all that apply)

• Copepods

Votes: 140 61.4%
  • Rotifers

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Phyto

Votes: 152 66.7%
  • Feeder fish

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other invertebrates

Votes: 19 8.3%
  • Other live foods

Votes: 38 16.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best live foods to feed to your reef!!! What live foods are you consistently adding?

There is just something about live foods that seem to make a difference in a reef tank. Pellets, flake, frozen, powdered, and liquid all may have a place in meal time for your reef aquarium, but there seems to be something extra about the immediate response and long-term health and growth from feeding live foods. The live foods may vary based on your tank inhabitants and you may be occasionally adding “treats”, but what live foods are you consistently adding to your tank? Let us know your approach to keeping, feeding, and maybe even reproducing live foods. And yes, we want to see pictures if you are willing to share!

Dinkins_Snacklebox.png

Photo by @DinkinsAquaticGardens

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont add any yet see copepods all the time

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for pods, phyto, and feeder fish. I have four mollies born in saltwater that are almost fully grown. They’ll be going in my 210 before long. I have pods already and I’ll be adding more soon. As for phyto I’m going to culture several different types.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and clams - although I'm not sure if you count the clams if they were killed by freezing in the freezer first before putting them in the tank?

Blackworms I haven't had much success with. A lot of the fish just don't have any interest, and they die in about 10 seconds or so in saltwater.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pretty constant supply of pods and such living and breeding in the tank, but I have to regularly add ghost shrimp to feed my scorp (or whoever finds them first).

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria bound up with nutrients, and I don’t even have to add it. I just help with the population through carbon dosing.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and clams - although I'm not sure if you count the clams if they were killed by freezing in the freezer first before putting them in the tank?

Blackworms I haven't had much success with. A lot of the fish just don't have any interest, and they die in about 10 seconds or so in saltwater.
I count whole frozen shellfish. I feed mussels, oysters and clams. I also culture phyto which reminds me I need to go do the phyto thing for my tank. I used to culture white worms. They lived and wiggled for quite a while in my tank but were kind of nasty when infested with some little flies and their disgusting maggots. I gave up on them.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato, Tet, Iso. 10ml each twice a day during feedings. Nightime I have a 1g tank tank I am culturing a "swamp" Phyto, copepods, rotifers and a few brine shrimp. About 20ml of that, everybody goes crazy, like shark week crazy. Fish and corals alike.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add Photo, Rotifers, Copepods, fairly often. I had been feeding black worms daily but my culture died I feed white worms about 3 times a week. When I go to Atlanta I buy live clams now they are dead when they get to the tank water but very fresh. My fish seem healthy I am a 100% on the ICK management side np QT for me.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sargassum and ghost shrimp, mmmm!! Throw in some garlic and scampi fish poop, corals love it lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No live foods except what (was) on the rocks.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting…. I read something somewhere explaining/justifying how/why food actually originating from the sea has a better nutritional profile than terrestrial foods or Freshwater sources (black worms, Tilapia et) …I can’t recall the details but it had something to do with Omega 3’s, vitamins and things I can’t understand or pronounce…

IF ANYONE has info or input this topic, pleeeeeeez chime in…. Again, I have no clue why this is, but as I could recall & understand, the article made sense

Anyway, I’ve had success with black worms, earthworms, white worms and Brineshrimp …all depends on what you gutload/condition the foods with 1st …. BTW Marine Betta will take earthworms (not sure if thats good or bad)

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's rotifers and freshly hatched brine.

I keep a culture of both going at the house.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back