This is where mine are, except one.

20200527_180919.jpg

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my current two that are trying to travel. The one on the sand looked settled in (I dug it a little hole and left the flow off for 30 minutes) but now he’s going again. The one on the rock was settled all day yesterday, but once the lights went off, started trying to float away. I got him settled again this morning, but now he looks like he's walking.

3288B397-DAA2-48F2-BB34-C97FDA0B7ECA.jpeg

B2F4D935-04F8-4F85-8164-D4411419D895.jpeg

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my rfa's attached within 30 min or so. I fill the end cap with tank water just deep enough to cover the nem so that its inclined to flatten down away from the air, not sure if this helps or not. I set it outside the tank and every 20 min or so give it a little swirl or nudge with a plastic pipette to see if its attached. Once it does, I'll set it on top on the sand for a few hrs or overnight. Once I feel like its settled completely, I bury the end cap, carefully keeping the sand out. Then over the course of a week, I'll slowly add sand into the end cap, each time adding just a bit and letting the nem re-settle before adding more. Smaller the nem, slower I go with the sand. I've never had a nem walk from an end cap. Credit goes to Ron Reefman for the PVC end cap method.

Just about exactly the way I do it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are scattered all over my tank.

One decided it liked the back corner, the rest are all planted right where rock meets sand. I did try this new one up on a rock, and my 2 babies are up on a rock no where near the sand.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they should be fine as long as they don't get too hot or cold.

With the way Ron gets them into an end cap, they should be fine in their own water for 48 hours or so. o_O lol

I did get some 3 days later(thanks Fed-Ex for leaving them at the neighbors who was out of town for 3 days), they ended up just fine. But, I would not suggest that.

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they should be fine as long as they don't get too hot or cold.

With the way Ron gets them into an end cap, they should be fine in their own water for 48 hours or so. o_O lol

I did get some 3 days later(thanks Fed-Ex for leaving them at the neighbors who was out of town for 3 days), they ended up just fine. But, I would not suggest that.

That makes me feel a bit better. It's super hot over here but they aren't even in my state. So hopefully they'll get here early in the morning, like they are supposed too.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my current two that are trying to travel. The one on the sand looked settled in (I dug it a little hole and left the flow off for 30 minutes) but now he’s going again. The one on the rock was settled all day yesterday, but once the lights went off, started trying to float away. I got him settled again this morning, but now he looks like he's walking.

3288B397-DAA2-48F2-BB34-C97FDA0B7ECA.jpeg

B2F4D935-04F8-4F85-8164-D4411419D895.jpeg
Having the same struggles as you my friend.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just smooshed mine onto the rock (gently, of course) and they grabbed on in three to five minutes with the flow on.
Are the problems just with the PVC? No one is using CPVC I hope?
Does everyone know they won’t sting you?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like rock flower anemones .... unfortunately so does my emperor angel. I have to add bigger ones as the babies just get eaten.

I think I had a similar issue with my new baby RFA in my old DT. I think the wrasse was willing to catch and eat babies that were floating around in the water column. That's part of why I set up a dedicated RFA breeding tank. That, and the opportunity to learn more about their breeding and birthing.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to pick up an aiptasia eating filefish but I got a nice flower nem that I really don't want to lose given that it has survived a near total coral lose. Turning it fish only with flower nems only but I want one of these filefish.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved most of mine RFA to the dedicated tank. But I still have a few RFA and maxi-mini anemones in the DT. I wasn't even thinking about them when I bought a full size file fish kind of on impulse. I've had some aiptasia issues recently but I think I have them under control. But the file fish was good looking and priced right. I never even considered the other anemones.

The file fish has been in the DT now for a week and a half and seems to be doing well. It eats when I feed and it has not toutched the RFAs or the maxi-mini nems. Maybe I'm just being lucky so far?

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved most of mine RFA to the dedicated tank. But I still have a few RFA and maxi-mini anemones in the DT. I wasn't even thinking about them when I bought a full size file fish kind of on impulse. I've had some aiptasia issues recently but I think I have them under control. But the file fish was good looking and priced right. I never even considered the other anemones.

The file fish has been in the DT now for a week and a half and seems to be doing well. It eats when I feed and it has not toutched the RFAs or the maxi-mini nems. Maybe I'm just being lucky so far?

When I fist put my first RFA in my tank I had a file fish in it. As soon as the anemone settled the file fish went right after it. I had to cover it up to try and save it, but it didn't make it. Luckily the file fish was only in that tank temporarily. I had gotten it for my 150 that was envaded by aptasias. So it did go to his new home a lot sooner. Lol But I do have to say, he got rid of my aptasia problem in that tank. The only problem is, now I would love to put some RFA in that tank and can't :confused:

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky, the butterfly I put in at one point to eat aiptasia didnt mess with my RFA (just preferred zoas to aiptasia), and so far neither do the peppermint shrimp. Now I'm concerned though...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back