Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved most of mine RFA to the dedicated tank. But I still have a few RFA and maxi-mini anemones in the DT. I wasn't even thinking about them when I bought a full size file fish kind of on impulse. I've had some aiptasia issues recently but I think I have them under control. But the file fish was good looking and priced right. I never even considered the other anemones.

The file fish has been in the DT now for a week and a half and seems to be doing well. It eats when I feed and it has not toutched the RFAs or the maxi-mini nems. Maybe I'm just being lucky so far?

I had a file fish in my tank briefly. Not to eat aptasia just because I think they are neat. I also have maxi-minis and unfortunately one of them ate my filefish. It didn't last long enough to notice if rfa were a target.

Last edited:

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, I found one of my RFAs like this, floating in the tank under the powerhead. I got some bigger pvc caps today to try again since two of them have just been constantly floating around the tank. Any chance this one can recover? I had mushrooms do this during shipping before and it did recover though long term didn’t make it.

710AB645-1833-4F5D-AE23-C9AE91C42B90.jpeg

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of my shipment of 5 I had two not make it. They were both due to them not set anywhere and ended up getting damaged or I guess just tumbled too much.
This morning, I found one of my RFAs like this, floating in the tank under the powerhead. I got some bigger pvc caps today to try again since two of them have just been constantly floating around the tank. Any chance this one can recover? I had mushrooms do this during shipping before and it did recover though long term didn’t make it.

Mine that got that bad didn't.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Iffy, but worth some effort to see if it can.

I'd put it in a bowl or tupperware, anything that can hold some tank water. Don't put it back in the tank. Every 8 to 12 hours (maybe even more at first, dump the bowl of water down the sink and refill it with tank water. If it's going to make it, it may take as long as a few days. If it's not going to make it, it probably a short term situation (like 12 hours).

Good luck.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iffy, but worth some effort to see if it can.

I'd put it in a bowl or tupperware, anything that can hold some tank water. Don't put it back in the tank. Every 8 to 12 hours (maybe even more at first, dump the bowl of water down the sink and refill it with tank water. If it's going to make it, it may take as long as a few days. If it's not going to make it, it probably a short term situation (like 12 hours).

Good luck.
It didn’t make it through the night. The other one that was floating around is doing ok though it moved to the pvc cap next door. I’ll need to put it back in the breeder box I think

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be receiving 4 more RFA this week. Super excited, can't wait to see how they look in my tank. I'll post some pictures when they are in. That will make it a total of 10 :rolleyes:. I think I have an addiction ;Bored.
Welcome to my world! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Woot;Woot
I have 4 more ultras coming in from Austin Aqua Farms today. that will make 12 in my DT. I might have an addiction also. :D
Hello my name is stefan and I kay have a rfa problem. Just recieved 6 in thursday plus one that's already in the tank. I'm planning my next purchase.

I have never used the PVC cap method just put them at a base of a rock. They snuggle in tight as a tick.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is stefan and I kay have a rfa problem. Just recieved 6 in thursday plus one that's already in the tank. I'm planning my next purchase.

I have never used the PVC cap method just put them at a base of a rock. They snuggle in tight as a tick.

I also have had good success with putting them right where the rock meets the sand. I've only had 3 not settle in those spots immediately, they blew through the tunnel to the other side and settled in the rock/sand meet back there. Granted, my rock work has a lot of nooks and crannies for them, so maybe that's why it's successful

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to wonder about the relationship with anemone shrimp. I've got two sexies and one periclimenes, and it's fun to watch them hang out with the nems. Yesterday the Peri was sprawled completely across one of my bigger guys, which was wide open and not caring at all. Are they cleaning? Do we know anything about the symbiosis there?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to constantly irritate my RFA for days to get it to slowly move away from a BTA that was killing it.
20200315_151956.jpg

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to constantly irritate my RFA for days to get it to slowly move away from a BTA that was killing it.
20200315_151956.jpg
I have a similar one with whiter tentacles andit has survived many bad scenarios. I lost corals in the tank but this nem has survived I am debating moving towards fish only with just those nems given time constraints on the tank.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I saw hllb’s pictures but can anybody else post pictures showing their RFAs under blues and then under whites? I’m contemplating getting a few but I run my tank with fairly white light so I’m trying to get a sense of what they might really look like for me.

Lisavet2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I saw hllb’s pictures but can anybody else post pictures showing their RFAs under blues and then under whites? I’m contemplating getting a few but I run my tank with fairly white light so I’m trying to get a sense of what they might really look like for me.

Here are a couple of mine under blues and then under whites. That is one thing I love about RFA, they look good under any light. But they do pop under blues.
20200605_201615.jpg
20200529_115113.jpg

20200605_201615.jpg 20200529_115121.jpg

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

If you were talking about my full tank shots, those are without any lights on. They’re still quite pretty in whites - especially if they have lime green or yellow on them so look for those colors.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

IMG_20200518_175117.jpg IMG_20200518_194930.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a couple RFAs myself! Cool thread!

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experiences with small fish and rfa?

I have a 7 year old big boy (came in as a liverock hitchhiker) in my DT and a pair of mandarins in another small fish/coral frag grow out tank (mandarins have been there 6 months)... Now that the mandarins have gotten bigger, I've started thinking about adding the mandarins to the DT (125 gallon), but am still anxious about doing so with the rfa. I've never target fed the anemone but feed very heavily having dozens of nps including various nps gorgs. I really don't want to re-home since I've had him from day 1 but losing the mandarins to him would also be awful.

I did see a post in this thread mentioning filefish - only filefish and rfa problem I've had was a bristle tail pair eventually (like, a few years after having them) began picking at the rfa (and lots of other coral), so the bristle tails sadly were traded to the LFS. I never had any issues with radial filefish and rfa.

So, I'm just curious- what have been others experiences with small fish and rfa?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back